1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Found on a Council Cleanup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petesbrew, Mar 10, 2009.

1. petesbrew

petesbrew

Mar 10, 2009
    Hi guys,
    Newbie bassist here from Sydney (but guitarist for a couple of decades).

Basically, look what I found outside my parent's neighbours on a council cleanup pile....

Yamaha RBX-800A, with active pickups.
    Thrown out, cos the "bottom string kept falling off".
    Fixed that by stringing correctly, bought a new Gstring, and it's working beautifully thru my marshall stack!

Anyone know anything about this bass?
    Cheers
    Pete

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55884139@N00/3344457385/

2. adge

adge

Jun 8, 2006
    sydney, australia
    Hey Pete welcome!

i dont know too much about the bass, other than that you got a great deal on it!!!

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, AWESOME find! That looks like a killer bass!

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Yamaha basses are generally good values in any price range, and that one looks quite good for what you paid for it!;)

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Heartwarming story, I must say! :smug:

I know nothing about this bass...but if it's a Yamaha, it's probably up to the job.

Every guitarist should have a bass. A free one's even better.

6. Hi, Pete.

Congrats on the find and welcome to TalkBass.

Don't know much about the bass either, but as said earlier, Yamahas are considered to be rather good.

Regards
    Sam

7. We tell the Americans that we have kangaroos roaming the streets here in Oz but in Brisbane we have all these damn guitars and basses waiting for the council to come and collect . . .

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I believe that bass won a Bass Player magazine shootout around 92 or 1993 and they raved about it.
    Congtratulations

9. Great find man,Yammies are great quality basses.

I just wish you gave a pic of the bass actually found on the council estate to give that rustic charm.:D

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

One thing's for sure, you're going to fry your precious speakers if you keep playing bass through the guitar amp.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If he's very careful he won't, but he should go to the next cleanup day and get a free bass amp, though. ;)

12. petesbrew

petesbrew

Mar 10, 2009
    Ah yes it was sitting next to a bass amp, I think it was a Gallean Krueger (spelling?) but my 2yo daughter couldn't carry it.
    haha just kidding.

Yep, will be careful with the guitar amp. Low volumes at the moment, and I'll keep an eye out for a cheap/free bass amp.

Also, I totally agree with Yamaha's. They're a quality product.
    I've got an SG-300 electric, and it is a beautiful instrument. More enjoyable to play than my fender mustang. I also used to have an old yamaha 12-string (hummingbird copy of some sort), and I'm kicking myself to this day for selling it.

13. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    Great find, man! But I'm not sure if I want to ever hear about your "G-String" ever again ;-P

14. That looks very cool, and if it's free, so much the better! :)

15. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Maybe next time you go on a walkabout, you might run across... a Walkabout!
    :ninja:

16. petesbrew

petesbrew

Mar 10, 2009
    hmmm... i'll search for walkabout... ah.. just did.
    Niiiiiice ampp there. Sorry typing is heavily affected by a belgian bruin right nnow.