Found Out Today What Happens When The Battery Runs Out!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Mar 9, 2004.

1. First Bass I've owned with Active Electronics. Ibanez SR 405 5 stringer, that I love by the way. Original battery has been in it 14 months. Picked it up at lunch to get my lunch time bass fix, and thought the speaker was blown in my amp. Exactly what it sounded like. Then realized that I did something I never do, I had left the chord plugged into the axe since yesterday. New battery fixed her right up. Needless to say, I always assumed that when it went down, that I would still have the sound of a passive Bass. Thus I never worried much about it dieing while gigging. That obviously isn't the case. I now have a new spare battery in my gig bag. :bassist:
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I felt like quite the schmuck when my battery died in the studio. Very unprofessional. Now I always carry several spares, and change them at regular intervals.
  3. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    DAMN! This thread just reminded me that I left my 'Ray plugged in - and I just put a fresh battery into it......%#&@)(*@#^@#... :spit:

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As long as it didn't happen on a Friday night in front of 900 clubbers, you should feel fortunate, IMO.

Yeah, it would be superb if luthers put in some kind of indicator that would showl you when the batteries are running down, like some kind of LED indicator.

But a back-up bass with some fresher batteries, and/or some fresher batteries in your Seagram's Royal Crown bag/gig bag should always go with you to the gigs.

Going to passive just requires a total amp/bass tweaking, IME.

By bringing one spare bass, "ready to go," I've never been embarrassed.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    LOL. If it's not wired for passive as well, you're SOL when the battery drops to 8 volts. Pretty easy to tell an active bass for the most part -there's only two screws in the bay cover. In my recollection, recommended change is 8.75 by Bass Player. There's no way my basses would go 14 days let alone 14 months so I use rechargeables. But I'm gong all outboards with passive pups so the days of having to unplug the bass everytime I set it down are coming to a close - I'll have to unplug the preamp instead (ha!).

But you can take a plug and run pigtails to it and check your battery with a meter to avoid pealing the compartment open - if it's something you do on a regular basis like me. Also some of my Batteries are a cram in from all the electronics so it's something to avoid, another reason I'm going outboard.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dude, it's a pain to pop open the back of a Soundgear during a show. Five screws to replace the battery. Make sure you keep it fresh! Toss the old one's in your bag just in case.
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Its times like those ive got my control cavity with a little tab where my battery is stored. I love my TRB :)

hey rickbass, i cannot remember who, but a little known australian luther had a little test swtich in the back of his basses, where you push it and a light comes on. if the light is too dim, or its what you think is dim, its battery replacing time :)
    that or you can just take it out and put your tounge on it, thats always fun! :D

8. My parents used to make me do that as a kid to check batteries :(

actually its kinda funny now :cool:
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe the luthier is Kinman ??? But he's a "name" luthier to guitarists in-the-know here in the States........his pickups are on fire. Too bad he hasn't expanded to basses, kirb.

Not to get off-track here, but I've seen comments from a couple of Australian luthiers saying that there are "no fine tonewoods" available in the down-under. With N. Zealand next door and SE Asia not far away, I find that hard to believe..........after all look at the lacewood you guys have.

I just wonder, since you're below the equator.........if you tongue-test a battery, I wonder if the polarity is switched ? ;)
  10. It happened to me once. Fortunately, at home during personal practice. With all the popping and various horrible sounds, I thought my electronics were frying. Change of batteries solved the problem. I now keep tabs on how long the batteries have been in, change them at regular intervals, and carry spares. The time that it did happen to me, the batteries weren't that old. Then it occurred to me that we had just been on vacation. I had taken the bass with me and had left it plugged in the whole time so that I could practice whenever the urge struck. I now unplug when I'm away.