Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found some butt kickin speakers!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I work for a property management place. Turnover is a time of monstrous amounts of trach pickup. So I get to go dumpster diving and get paid for it. So far I have found a P3 computer, a AMD-K6 computer, 2 monitors, 3 printers, and other misc. odds and ends. Then at the end of the day, I found some speakers sitting out. I didn't hold high hopes for them, but I thought I'd give them a try.

They are Fisher XP6's. They are from the 60's I believe from what I have gleaned from some google searching. I really don't know the power handling on them, but they measure 7.9-8.1 ohms DC resistance. I hooked them up to my GK head, and they sound AWESOME! The speakers are in wonderful shape, the grillecloth is not even snagged, but the wood on the cabinet of one has some laminate issues, which I will be fixing. They sounded so good, I will be using them as a regular part of my rig. They have a ~2.5" paper tweeter, 4 inch mids, and 9 inch bass in a sealed box. These sound great with fingerstyle ad slap. Real "organic" I guess you could say. I can't wait to try these out at church practice!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Careful with them! They are not made for the wattage that you will be running through them, and they are not designed for the massive amount of lows at high volume that a bass guitar puts out.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know. that is why I will be using 2 in parallel, and also only at church, where the volume does not have to be very high. Anyone got any specs on them>