1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Found The One yesterday.....at Guitar Center!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gunner77, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Gunner77

Gunner77 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    Awhile back I started a thread talking about how I had smaller hands but had learned that I liked bigger necks on my basses. My four string basses had always had jazz style necks before and I had pretty much ignored precisions. I have a couple of 5 strings that I am able to handle ok so with my new found love of big necks I jumped off the deep end and purchased a Fender American Standard 5 string precision from a fellow TBer. It was pristine and I got it for a very good price. Only problem was the neck was too big! It was wearing my hand out trying to play that thing!

I don't have a Guitar Center in my town but I was going to the big city yesterday so I took the 5 string P with me and stopped at Guitar Center. I had had a couple of other trade in offers locally that had me losing a lot of money so I wasn't holding my breath. Hanging on the wall way up high they had three MIA standard P basses. A white one, a black one and....que the spotlight and the heavenly choir.... a sunburst with tort pickguard. I had them get the burst one down for me and plugged it in. I played a few minutes and I knew this was what I had been searching for. With all the GC horror stories I have heard on TB I was surprised that this one was set up with a fairly low action and was very close to being in tune. I turned it over and looked at the serial number which started with Z7 :eyebrow: Had this thing been hanging on the wall at GC since 2007 or 2008? There was not a mark or scratch on it. Perfect! Had it been waiting just for me? I took it to the counter and they made a decent offer on my 5 string and with the 15% off for trading in it was like getting and extra $180 for my trade so I took it home with me. Three cheers for Guitar Center Independence, MO. :bassist:

Here's a couple of pics. I haven't even pulled the new sticker of of it yet.

2. Good on ya. That looks sweet and I know you'll enjoy it with such a good deal.

I bought an Ibanez Acoustic four-stringer today at the GC 56 miles from me. GC is for all reasons I can find - a pretty nice place.

They want to be in business next week so they are working things over for the customers nicely in this bad market. I too got a sweet deal. I bought the one in front today ->

100_6123.

Hooray for GC.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I tried a MIA P bass at the Austin GC that was really nicely set up as well. I wonder if Fender sends the MIAs out with a little extra attention.

4. Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    I noodled around on a Schecter Hellraiser 5 string that was nicely setup too. Maybe this particular GC has a quality tech?

Gunner

5. I got to talk to the luthier at my 'local' GC today for quite a time; (it's only 56 miles away). He said he goes through EVERY guitar that arrives and every used guitar too.

He was reshaping the frets on an old Fender J of some sort - (I'm not a Fender expert) and he had just sanded the board to just get the funk off it and was re-stringing it with new flats. It looks like he puts a full day in just tweaking and adjusting guitars for that store.

He took the used Ibanez AEG I had a hold of and was in the process of buying and he restrung it for me with some nice bronzes while I waited since he knows I like mellow, deep and clean sounds. He said it could use a little bridge adjustment, but was kinda busy today and I could return on a slower day if I wanted. Nice guy.

I have nothing but nice to say about GC at the moment. That could change - but I think the management team at this store is really good to their talent and the talent goes out of it's way to be good to the customers. Everyone can have a bad day - but so far they haven't treated me to anything but nice.

It's also nice to walk into a store and everyone calls you by your name. They are like that to me and that's why I drive the 56 miles, one way. .

6. Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    I was looking at my post again and this thing looks so much better in person than in the pics. I usually don't care for tort pickguards. I usually go for some shade of black or white but the tort is perfect with this burst. I feel kind of like the Armor All commercial where you just can't stop staring at the car after you use it. Only replace the car with the bass.

Gunner

7. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I recently traded for a '98 American P, and I know what your saying. I actualy had to do some tweaking to get this to feel right, but I already knew I loved P's, and this is "the" one. Enjoy!!
    Steve

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Great looking Precision! Sunburst with tort is simply classic, may favorite.
    As far as the serial. When the 'new' improved production Fenders came out for 2008, the early ones were still wearing late 07 serials. So yeah, yours had waited a couple of years for you to come along.

9. Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    This may be a dumb question but can someone tell me what the string is for that comes looped through the Fender straps that come with MIA Fender basses? Is it in case I break a shoelace? :eyebrow:

Gunner

10. I bought that exact same bass two days ago and have fallen in love with it already. Congratulations on your new bass.

11. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    So you can tie the strap to the head of the guitar, for an alternate position, or in case your guitar does not have a strap pin in the neck/heel (some acoustics do not).

12. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Nice looking score by the way. I feel the same way about tort + burst.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Haven't found The One but I'm happy playing the field. Nice bass!

14. Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    Same to you! :bassist:

Gunner

15. Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for the info. :)

Gunner

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A lovely bass you have there. Congratulations!

I have owned and played one just like it since 2002. It is solid, sounds great and I enjoy playing it.

17. Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    I never cared for the tort+burst in pictures. I never thought they looked good in catalogs or online so I basically ignored them. I don't think the pictures that I took of my own bass look that good but in person it is mezmerizing. I love it!

Gunner

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yup. It's got the new bridge so it was probably an early manufacture for the new 08 upgrades. Sweet looking bass. Congrats on finding the one. Now you just have to make sure you don't get temped by others. I suppose it's all good as long as you come back to the one right? :D

19. Nice bass.

It is a great feeling when you find that one bass.

MM

20. Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    Making me feel guilty already. I have a total of three of "The One" now. The MIA P, MIA G&L L-2000(maple fretboard) and an Ibanez SR705 Blue Moon. I also own a Squier VM Jazz that is pretty nice. I think I could sell everything else I have and get just about any sound I needed out of those four. I really do need to quit gear shopping and concentrate on getting my playing ability up to the standard of the gear I own. The gear shopping is so addictive! I think it is the thrill of the hunt. I mean I'm an old married guy what else do I get to hunt?

Gunner