1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Found these speakers what do you think ? *pics*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheButler, Dec 10, 2006.

1. I have a few speakers that I wanting opinions on. I don't know much about them but by posting some pics and giving you my limited information on them i could maybe get to know a bit more before i think about sticking them in a cab or something. They are 12 " the backs appears to be Iron, they are pretty heavy and are 4 Ohm i think

Attached Files:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  3. Yeh i get ya ;) I'm just interested to know what people think of the build quality ( admitadly only a limited amount is known from a pic.) Are pretty much ''generic'' ? What applications would one find a speaker similar in looks in ? I actually had a look at that link earlier ( i think you posted it in another thread.) I have had a look at it all and it is all very well. However, does anyone know where i could find somewhere telling me where i could find out the methods to measure the values of the things mentioned or should it have came with the speaker ?

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That requires testing equipment, and the knowedge of how to use it.
    It should have. Enquire with the manufacturer. The build quality appears OK, but just because they're pretty doesn't mean they can fight.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They are cast frame with large magnets so they are not cheap speakers. They are probably what is known as an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) speaker made by Eminence, EV, etc. and sold to an amp maker (as opposed to speakers sold to end users like us). There should be some markings somewhere on the frame that could help ID the speaker.

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    None of the above, or they'd be easily recognizable. Looks can be deceiving, too. These Goldwoods look nice (and look similar, for that matter) but I've had reports that they are poorly constructed and defect ridden.
    [​IMG]

7. Thakid2u

Thakid2u

May 1, 2006
    I wouldnt say none of the above Bill. Not all OEM speakers are easily identified. I will agree with you about the looks of speakers. Just because they look cool, doesnt mean they sound good.

Where did you get these speakers? Did you get them online, garage sale, pull them from another cabinet, a friend?

Some companys send the specs with the speaker, but most just post them online. It's alot cheaper and saves paper.

8. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

9. Thakid2u

Thakid2u

May 1, 2006
    Some will be stamped, some will be painted, some will have a sticker..etc. Some wont have anything at all or could have been rubbed off, came off....or who knows..

10. The speakers are a available to me through my brother. I think they are probably OEM. I was just abit confused about the iron backing having never seen it used on numerous speakers i have looked at in the past. I will check for some sort of code but i don't think there is one there ... They do feel like high quality speakers, which was why i started considering them in the first place for a bass cab. They literally came from a sealed box with nothing else inside The only branded speakers that i saw were Jensens http://www.jensenvintage.com/c12q.htm perhaps these ones i'll need to take another look. I believe jensens are quite good vintage speakers, obviously not for bass but in general ? There is also a wide array of tweaters and horns which i will get some pics of as i can't identify which type they are from my limited knowledge :confused: I have added pictures of what appear to car audio speakers. I will post up the specs for what it is worth ( they don't tend to be the most 'accurate' claims):
    SPL. 1W/1M: 92db
    Freq. Response: 46 - 3700Hz
    12" foam surround
    2" aluminium voice coil
    Aluminum Cone
    4 Ohm
    80oz magnet
    ''400'' watt max power
    Anyway i'm not intending to use the car audio ones in a bass cab but i thought i'd let you guys have a look anyway see what you think ? Thanks for all the replies so far they are much appreciated and taken on board ;) Look out for the next batch of pictures ... some 15" ones next

Attached Files: