Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found THIS at a local pawn shop...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 15, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Excellent condition, barely used, Fretless Stingray 5,,, for $795. For that price, might be worth it to get used to playing a fretless...

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Got any pics?Sounds nice.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Actually, no. I didn't buy it, but I'm soooooo tempted.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go for it.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm just really leary of pawn shops, ya know? During my last visit, the same guy tried to sell me a junk head for $500... soo...

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i know what you mean......how much money do you have? and how eager are you to buy a new bass>

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I've only alotted myself around $700, & am waiting for my house to close. (end of month) By then, it could be gone. I suppose I could go put a retainer on it until then. I've been intending to buy a Lakland 55-01, but this has distracted me! :bawl:

8. Go for the Lakland man! Save for it :D

9. My experience with pawn shops is, if you walked in there with 700 green, he'd give it to you.

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Yea. $700 cash would be a fair drop from that price. Sounds like he doesn't know what its worth.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea, pawn shops are pretty lenient(sp?) I would even try $675. If he says no, say " ight brb ill see if i got ne more" then go somewhere, come back in a few mins with $700.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    start at $650

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    id start at $600
    i bought a fender 410 cab with the eminces for $150 out the door!!!

steve

14. I had that orangeburst fretless MM in the layaway for a while and then took it out.I just can't do fretless. They were a bit upset about that. It comes with a hardshell MM case. They do have a one year layaway plan if you really want it. I get lot's of used stuff from them. I think they have as much music gear there as some of the local music stores (as much as german village music haus).Also I think they have a 30 day guarantee on most of their electronic equipment so I would not be afraid to buy anything there.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    a guarentee wont get ur money back, that means it wont break for 30 days, now a warrenteee...

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yep, Orange Burst, you know which bass I'm talkin about then... it IS sweet, & seems to be a great deal.

They told me about thier layaway plan,, just gotta drop $80 & its on hold. I don't feel like the fretless is a problem for me.

Is the fact that is fretless the only reason you bailed on it?

17. It was a very nice bass and given the time to get it out I don't think you will go wrong. I just can't do fretless or the narrow string spacing.

Go for it.

Yep and the string spacing.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I noticed you own a Lakland 55-01. My plan has been to pick up one of those, but I'm torn...

I waaaannnntttt!!

19. finding a MM SR at 795 is insane, and you're right, pawnshops are flexible with money, start at like 650 and gradually work your way until they say yes. This could be a minor setback for your Lakland, but finding a MM for this price is like a once in a lifetime opportunity(with the exception of EBAY)

20. German Village Music Haus has one. Bill Foley...he's got a burgandy 55-01 with a maple neck. The only problem with him is that he basicly sell all of his new basses at the list prices. And the sad part is that there is enough people buying it at those prices that he won't change it. They are so much cheaper at ebay and other places than at his store. I only paid $600.00 for mine off of ebay.

I'm selling my Zon Sonus 5 and the Alembic Epic 5. I will probably sell them at the Fifth Avenue Fret Shop.