Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found this on Ebay.. little confused.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by E.O.M., Jan 9, 2002.

1. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
  2. i believe that is a car amplifier...

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    In car audio I've noticed that they always tell you the peak wattage to inflate the numbers. The specs on ebay don't say anything about RMS or peak, but I'm guessing they are peak wattages.

4. that indeed is a car sterio amplifier, bolts in under your seat, and makes your sterio louder... a lot louder if its a 600 watter.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you know...i've always thought about something like that -

what if you bought a car amplifier, had a voltage transformer,and stuck it in a cab with a big 18 or something....you could theoretically get that to work as a powered sub or something, right?

jason

6. Car amps suck as music instrument amps. As far as I can gather, it's because they are built only to handle a very smooth compressed CD signal, and cannot cope with the enormous transient spikes, particularly in a bass guitar signal. Also, if it's 300w x 2, that's very unlikely to be RMS, more likely Peak mean output, which equates (I think) to about 75 watts RMS.

7. My home studio amp setup consists of 2 Sony 50w x 2 (RMS) car amps - one feeds (via LPF) a sealed 15" sub, then other feeds 2 10" + horn Rockford Fosgate boxes, and 2 Blaupunkt car/all-weather speakers. The whole thing is powered by a high-amp PC power supply (gives 12v/8amps).

Believe it or not, it sounds damn good.

But, Marty's right when it comes to being pretty lame for instruments - it's too smooth and can't handle the transients well.

The other bonus of my setup is that the whole thing can be used at home, in a car, or as a portable PA...