Four 10's / Combined Power Handling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fangry, May 9, 2002.

1. Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    A question;

What would be the power handling rating of a 410 cab @ 8Ohms with four 8Ohm Eminence Beta-10 150W speakers? I understand the impedance questions and all but how's the wattage calculated?
  2. 600 watts. If you put 600 watts to the cab the power is split by the 4 drivers which get 150 watts ea.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... they'd have to be wired in series-parallel, so it'd be the same as wiring two 16-ohm speakers in parallel, or two 4-ohm speakers in series. Either way it all comes out the same.
  4. Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Oh, cool.
    Somebody in some forum must have got me confused, then. Glad to know them being series-parallel doesn't affect the power handling, and it's as simple as adding the four drivers together.

Guess it wasn't such a bad move to replace the blown drivers from an old Peavey 410T (never heard anyone talk about this model... hum) with cheap aftermarket drivers :p

Now I'll probably blow them right out again as I get that RBI and an enormous power amp :)
  5. Series-parallel is a new one on me. I've only ever heard of series circuits or parallel circuits!!! Mind you during my Physics degree we didn't do an awful lot of electronics;)

Anyway, assuming they are wired in parallel, the cab would handle 600 watts. You can add the 150 watts from each driver.

Remember P=VI (Power=Volts x Current)

Now, from Ohms law:-

V=IR (Voltage = Current x Resistance)

By substituting this into the equation for power :-

P=V2R (Power = Voltage Squared x Resistance)

In a parallel circuit - voltage is the same at every point, so each driver would see the same voltage.