1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

four finger technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by aristotle chang, Jul 9, 2003.

1. aristotle chang

aristotle chang

May 25, 2003
    hi everybody. i've been working a little on using all four fingers on my right hand, but i can't seem to do much outside of scales with that technique, and i think part of it is that my pinky is quite a bit shorter than my other fingers, but probably more the fact that i haven't really forced myself to it on songs that often. is it worth it to keep trying to do the four finger thing or should i stick to 3 and focus on my picking?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I personally get more speed and evenness out of just 2 fingers than I ever did with 3.

3. Byron Santo

Byron Santo ByronSanto.com

Jul 8, 2003
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I use all 5 fingers at times.

I find the different finger patterns work better in some situations then others. I switch up from 2 to all 5 at times depending on what I'm playing. I borrowed this RH approach from classical/flamenco guitarist.

Before branching off to 4 or 5 finger technique make sure that your i-m and m-i finger technique is down. That is the RH finger pattern you will use the most. It's the foundation on which all other are built on.

Try to find a good instructor (bass or classical guitar) that uses 4 or 5 fingers so that he/she can guide you into the correct usage.