1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Four Ohm 4x10 Cabs Recommendations (long post)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    So, I auditioned yesterday for what may be my next band. Fender Twin, Vox combo, and a hard hitting drummer.

Problem was my amp wasn't cutting it.

I didn't get a chance to properly diagnose but I kept hearing a metalic rattling on low notes (driver noise?), my tone was dirtier than usual, and my typical "ooomph" was notably absent (or at least eaten by the others in the room), and I was forced to turn down the lows in order to keep my already farting speaker from farting more. Most of the time I'm having to drop the master to stop from killing everyone and this time I'm struggling to keep up. What is it about Fender twins? Why are they the loudest Mofos on the planet?

I currently have an SVT-II (2 or 4 ohm) and 8 ohm Ampeg 15" "classic series" cab. I've read about the dangers of mismatching ohms on tube heads and am wanting to correct that, plus the driver is only rated for 200 watts and it will fart if I push on it.

However, I really like the ampeg's tone. I don't know the engineering aspects of these things, but the tone sounds "tight." I A B'd it at the time against NeoDynahoozits of various configs as well as a couple of other papers and found the Ampeg 15 to be my tone, plus the size is perfect for portability.

So, I've got a couple of questions for you cab gurus out there:

a) does pushing a driver make it sound better than lightly using it?

b) Is Ampeg the only place I'm likely to get "ampeg" driver tone from?

c) what kinda options do I have for a four ohm cab? If size and budget were no concern I'd consider the NV610 that I've read glowing reviews of on here, but I'd prefer to keep this as portable as possible, so ideally 4x10 and smaller but able to keep up in terms of volume and headroom.

d) How much improvement would I see in throwing in another smaller (2x10 maybe?) cab that's also 8 ohms into the mix? If that's a good option what would you recommend?

Basically I'm trying to avoid going back to an unnecessarily large rig but want as much of the volume and tone as possible from something smaller and portable.

Justin

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You're gonna get that Ampeg tone from Amepg cabs for sure! I have a SVT-15E that is nice and small, but I don't use it anymore.

If you really like the tone of that cab, why not just get another? They are small enough to take two of them...and that would solve your ohm problems.

3. Try to get your hands on one of those Ampeg SVT half cabinets.

They are pretty good with the SVT amps and you can find them reasonably priced used.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Ampeg SVT410-HLF, or Peavey 410TVX - either one will handle the job well...

- georgestrings

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed, an Ampeg SVT410HLF would add a whole new dimension to your sound, and increase the volume without farting out the 15. You keep yor bottom, and gain alot of top end punch. Good luck.