Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FOUR OHM CAB RECOMMENDATIONS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by register2, May 24, 2005.

1. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Hello,

I am looking for some recommendations for a 4-ohm cab to take on tour. I have a GK800RB head, and am looking to get the most wattage/tone out of a single cab that I can. Any and all suggestions for speaker combinations are welcome, but I am looking for best value (i.e. reasonably cheap).

Thanks!

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The sensitivity of the cab will make far more difference to how loud your amp will go, than the impedance.

Alex

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, it depends on your specific size/volume needs. For the most volume in a relatively small 4 ohm package, you'd be hard pressed to do better than one of Jorg Schroeder's cabs.

The EA Wizzy is another great sounding and fairly loud 4 ohm cab, but it is only a single 1x12, and can only move so much air. Another tremendous small 4 ohm cab is the Hevos Midget 1x10 (which also comes in an 8 ohm flavor). But perhaps you need a larger cab.

Most, if not all, of the Accugroove cabs that involve multiple main drivers now have the Accuswitch, which allows you to switch between 4 and 8 ohms. My Whappo, Jr. was made before this became standard, but it is a 4 ohm cab, and a darn good one at that. Either the Jr. or the El Whappo would probably serve you well, too.

If you can find them, Bergantino's HT310 is a 4 ohm cab, and it has many fans (myself included).

I'm sure that there are many more, but I thought I'd toss out these ideas for starters.

Tom.

4. I agree with all of Tombo's recommendations.... a couple more

Epifani 410UL in 4 ohms (although it's not cheap!) or 310UL (5.33 ohms, but close enough!)

Mesa WalkAbout extension cabs (either the 12 or the 15). They sound great, are small, and my feeling is they would mesh with the GK sound pretty well. They have a passive driver in the bottom of the cab, and really put out a lot of sound and bottom for their size... and the cost isn't too bad.

5. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I appreciate all the replies - it's good to hear so many brands that I wouldn't have checked out otherwise. Any suggestions in terms of cabs that are famous for having a powerful 'response?'

Thanks again.

6. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Might be overkill for you, But I hooked up an 800RB to my Schroeder 410 last weekend and was blown away with the tone, volume, and punch. Quite amazed actually.

7. Could you define 'powerful response'... are you talking about efficiency, a punchy mid-rock tone, or a full range (low lows and high hi's), etc.????

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I don't think you'll find another 'compact' cab that has as much apparent loudness as a Schroeder 1210. If you're willing to cart more, the bigger a cab you can get, the more loudness you will get from your amp. But if you're touring, then size and weight will probably be an issue.

If you have a bit of time before you set off, you could get someone to build you a DR250a, which is a horn-loaded 1x10" cab to one of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs and will make even a Schroeder seem quiet!

Alex

9. Have you looked at Avatar? I've not actually used them myself, but I'm in the market for a new rig and I've just about decided that they are my best choice for price vs. performance. The 4 ohm 2x12 cabinet should do you right for around $300.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm not sure what you mean by reasonably cheap, but the bang for the buck with a Schroeder 1210 is hard to beat.

If it's got to be less expensive, try an Avatar.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You can get an Eden D-410XLT or Aguilar GS410 in 4ohms. Tons of sound. Also, Ampeg 8x10s are 4 ohm.

Shop used and everything is cheap.

12. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm quite fond of my Bergantino HT322 ;)

13. tellis

tellis

May 6, 2005
    Birmingham Al
    I MUST SAY! THE BERGANTINOS ARE TRULY THE BEST 4 OHMS CABS AVAILABLE.. :bassist:

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another Schroeder recommendation. The 1210 and 1212 are truly as loud as any 410 that I have heard, and the 410 is as loud as a lot of 810s out there.

15. You haven't provided us with a price range or what your idea of good tone is. However, since you are using a GK 800RB head I would guess you are in the market for lower to mid range price. I'm not a big fan of 4x10s, but I suspect it would be more suitable to what you are trying to do than my choice would be. I think there are a lot of used 4x10 cabs out there and I would get the best that I could afford: Peavey, Genz Benz, Eden, GK, Aguilar, SWR, Mesa, Ampeg. I found a fantastic no-name 2x12 closed back guitar cab with Celestion G12-75 speakers for $75 in the local "shopper" newspaper. I'll bet I could find a 4x10 Peavey cab for $150 to $200 within a week and I live in a very small rural community.

If you have the money to go new, then Avatar is a great price for pretty good cabs. A 4x10 would be between about $375 and $425 delivered to your door.

16. I have an older gk800rb that I use regularly with either a 4ohm goliathIII, or (if I feel strong) an 810 ampeg.

It does well with either cab.

17. I'm in a simular predicamanet at the moment- I am bidding on an RB 800 and looknig for a cab to use it- I am actually considering building a 2x12"- I was building an 8ohm 1x12" but withthe RB 800 the 2x12" running at 4ohm would be better suited IMO. I'd use 2x8 or something for the Highs...

18. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Those Schroeder cabs sound like a really good deal. In terms of what I am looking for in tone, something warm with plenty of grit in the low end, and the option for overdriving the highs (i.e. with a Sansamp DI). As far as price range, I am thinking of something comparable to a middle of the road Ampeg.

Thanks again.

19. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    About $500?

20. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    speaking of Ampeg, a 410-HLN/HLF used will run in the $500 range usually and put out alot of sound and a little "deeper" sounding than the ampeg 8x10's IMHO. and they've got the kickback wheels and towel-bar so they're easy to move around.