Four or Five Sring ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brookb, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Brookb

Jul 9, 2005
    Charlevoix, MI
    I'm just getting started with bass,does it matter what I start with 4 or 5 string?
  2. A lot of people disagree on this, bu tI think most people still start on 4 strings because it's simpler, bu tthen you have to get used to the extra string if you switch to 5 later.

If you have not decided on the type of bass, you can search the forums for opinions, but I can save you some time. ASccepted wisdom here is to buy an Essex from to get you going, and start saving for a Sadowsky.
  3. Brookb

Jul 9, 2005
    Charlevoix, MI
    Thank you for the links, it has helped greatly
  4. In my opinion if you think you want to play a "fiver" start with one. There is nothing you can play on a 4 string that you can't play on a 5. If you start with a 4 string then switch to 5 at a later date you'll have to deal with the spacing, and that big clunky B string. It's almost like starting all over again
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    and here again the 64.000 cents question....ok dude..start with a 6 stringer maybe you going to be the next John Myung...seriously,start with anithyng you like,4 or 5 is the same technique of play,if you answer guitar or bass i understand but if you talk about a bass,the number of strings is irrelevant,believe me,i start 8 years ago with 5 and i can play 4,5 or 6,i like now more the 4 stringers but i love the 5,s :bassist:
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Start on the one that you want to play.
  7. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    well, what kind of music do you want to play or what kind of music are you going to play? I started with a five string because I was going to be playing a lot of gospel music at my church. I play four for my own band though. It depends on the kind of music.
  8. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Gotta crawl before you can walk, start with the 4 and work your way up.
  9. Fuzzbass

True for humans but not for a musician's choice of instrument. Guitarists start with six strings, and bassists can too if that's what they want to play.
  10. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Here comes the can....yes! its a can of WORMS!
    I have gone back to a four due to the confusion the five brought to my life....I should have really taken lessons during the swithover to a fiver. That being said start with whatever you want to start with. I should have started with a six but hindsight is always twenty-twenty. :ninja:
  11. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I would probably recommend something like this -
  12. Fuzzbass

Exactly: your confusion was not from five-string itself, it was from trying to play five-string after becoming accustomed to four. I agree, you would've been better off starting on five or six or whatever. But of course the challenge to a beginner is knowing how many strings to start on. Way back when I started, four was the only realistic option.
  13. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    I don't get how switching to a five could be confusing. It's still tuned in 4ths.
  14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Yes, but the strings are not in the same place anymore(muscle memory), and that goes for either hand.

If you want to play 5, get a 5.
  15. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    As for me, I started on a 4, then went to a 5, now back to a 4. Will I go back to a 5? Only time will tell.
  16. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    I can understand having to make some physical adjustments, but I wouldn't call that confusion. I agree though, get a 5 if that's what you want. Probably easier to go from 5 to 4 than vice versa.