1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Four String plus top C

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassMann, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I have just read of a guy on E Bay selling a five string Yamaha BB415 identical to one I have had boughtfor me but cant get on with. This guy says he has strung his normally from a six string set putting the bottom E where the B would normally go and added a top c.
    Anybody out there had experience of this ?
    Anything I would need to do ?
    Sounds like it could solve a problem or two for me by keep using the bass ( and keeping a wife almost happy)
    I only take it to gigs as a back up to my Jazz mostly for show anyway

Cheers guys

Robin

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Hi TheBassMan,

Sorry, I'm a little unclear on your post. I'm assuming you're asking if there are any special adjustments you'd need to make to your BB415 if you strung it EADGC.

The answer:

It really depends on the bass. You might have to have it setup, you might not. It's pretty likely that you'll at least have to re-set the intonation when you string it EADGC.

I've known several professional jazz musicians who string their 5-strings EADGC and ditch the low B. It is done all the time. You'll probably just need to give the bass a normal setup a few days after you string it EADGC. I'd say go for it!

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hmmmmm, I don't like the sound of the high C...that's gettin' up there in gui****land :ninja:

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    My Yamaha BBG5 is strung high. Didn't need much if any adjustment.

It's easier to adjust to a high C, as the low strings are unchanged, and you can just forget the top C when you're not using it (more easily than you can ignore the low B).

It's fun for messing around, and quite usefull for some songs, though I tend to just keep it round the house, rather than gigging it.