Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Four string Tuned five

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FreeSpirit, Jan 5, 2005.

1. i was wondering. i am starting to play bass at my church, and the music they have given me is written for a 5 string(Low B's, C's and D's.) I only have played 4's in the past and so i just transposed the note to either its octave on the A string or soemwhere else on the fret board. My question was is it possible to tune my four srting down to BEAD while just using the 4 set thats already on the bass, or should i got get a low B string and move all the strings down and toss aside the G string. as well if i did this, are there other adjustments i should do to the bass to fit the B. Or is this just a horrible idea and i should just wait till i buy a 5 string.

2. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I play 5 strings often but I never play B0, I always play B1. Why? Because most places I play can't actually make 30.87 Hz come through the PA as anything other than mud.
    I would just grab the "B", second fret on the A string and let that 61 Hz B1 sing like a bird.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm with Eldermike in saying that unless theres a decent cab at church, don't bother with the low B.

4. i know i wouldn;t be playing though the PA, although its a good Pa i would go through my cabs. which are 1X15' and 4X10's through yorkville 400 head.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hmm...with that you should be more than fine, getting the sound out and all, so I say go for it...

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    It is ok with me to play those notes an octave up.

But to answer your specific question, you would need a B string. You will not be able to tune down all strings. And no, it is not a horrible idea. There are people who play BEAD instead of getting a five string. I would think that you would need to adjust your neck and your intonation.

I like a guy that uses a 4x10 at church.

tim99.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The guy who used to play bass at my church played througha 4X10, but started takin his equipment back cuz hes been playin more shows...and complained a little bit to me about how the church doesn't really ever turn off the equipment (yeah i'm the 15 year old sound guy :p)

So now the bass is runnin through a Ampeg BA112, which whenever I play through I can't get a tone that is deep enough for me...>_<

8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    The BA115 is a little better than the BA112, but I would recommend you look at the Ampeg B100R or the SWR Workingman 12.

9. hmmmm...i'm curious...What is the nature of the written music that they've given you? Is it from a piano sheet music?

I've often found that the bass parts are actually written one octave low in the first place on this stuff and you WILL have to translate one octave up.

Try everything one octave up and see how it sounds. I would find it hard to believe that there is much music out there written with bass parts playing many (if any) B0 and C0.

10. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I agree with this. Some churches have pipe organs that can play those notes and music is written for them. But the tones of those organs can't be replaced by a bass guitar. I would rather have the clear tone of a higher octave on the bass guitar, or, play them as written on the pipes. But, it's just my opinion.

11. Andy5997

Andy5997

Apr 8, 2015
    I lay my Warwick five string at church through my trace Elliot 210 cab and a Gk700RB and I've never had a muddy sound. I prefer four string basses though so I play an octave up on the low notes if I'm playing my Godin. The Warwick is up for trade for a good back up four if anyone is interested