Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

four strings plus one, equals six?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Princess, Nov 18, 2004.

1. hey all,

im thinkin of developing my talents towards the heavier side of things :smug: and investing in a five string, or maybe six string bass....

would appreciate any feedback or advice on what u all think is NICE.

2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    About the only advice I can think of to give you is hell yes, go for it, but before that, go play as many as you can and decide what price range you want to be in and what kind of sound you like etc... I will rant about my Yamaha 6er again... It's bloody amazing after finally getting it setup the way i like it... but really, decide whether you really want a 5 or 6 or 7 or what ever you want and what you will really use and what you are going to use it for. I have to say though that the high C on my 6 string is a little redundant and unused at the moment. Other people like the high C... So yeah, try to enrich your knowledge and tastes by playing and trying everything. Goodluck. Sorry if this was a bit garbly, but I try my best.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, I can only say the same thing:
    Go out and try as many as you can. And go after what you want.
    Watch for playing comfort and weight, too

:bassist:

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Would help to know your price range, and what your looking for in one. Style of music you play ect. You'll get a variety of advise based on those criteria.

Dingwall is always my vote hehe. To quote Ferris Bueller, if you have the means, I highly recomend picking one up, its so cherry :)

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  6. Thanx 4 the replies...

I spose you could say my style is real groovey-funky-grunge (laughs), kinda what you would get if you mixed-

Tim from his Rage Against the Machine days, with a pinch of Les Claypool, a Deftones twist, smash up a few Pumkins and sprinkle some old school Black Eyed Peas over the top of it!

(hope that paints a picture for ya!, actually, that made me kinda hungry...... :) )

Lately ive been listening to some Tool, Fear Factory, Slayer, Sepultura, Korn- that sorta thing. Thought it might be fun to diversify a bit. Im looking for a really phat heavy ugly sound :)

I hate to say it, but cause i am a girl, i don't want a bass thats too heavy.
    At the moment i use a Fender jazz and p bass and i find that they are comfortable for gigs and really nice for my mainstrem style.
    Price isn't much of my concern...being a princess and all :D

if i want something bad enough, i WILL find a way to get it!

cheers