Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Four Tops vs. Temptations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jiles, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Hey....at least its not a Flea thread.

Who favors who here? While most people seem to dig the Temptations, I take the Tops. Songs like "Standing In The Shadows Of Love", "Bernadette", and "Ill Be There" are phenomenal. I even think Jamerson's bass playing is much groovier on Tops recordings.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like both.
    Though I really like how The Temptations veered off into a '70s Pyshedelic-Funk thing under Norman Whitfield.
    The 4 Tops, for the most part, stayed true to their course...

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Apples vs. Oranges?

It's the same band, just with a different name :p

I like them both. They both had a great sound with Jamerson on the bottom, and up to the top. "My Girl" and "Papa was a Rolling Stone" are some of my favorite motown songs, right up there with "I'll be There" and "Bernadette". Both groups are on my personal greatest hits CD :)

4. Whats that I see? Apples vs. Oranges???

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The Platters.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You make a good point...

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What's that I see? An ECHO ECHO echo echo??? :p ;)

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The music of the Four Tops brings back so many memories. They had some of their biggest hits when I was a senior in college. Maybe my all time fave of theirs is "Just Ask the Lonely."

The Temptations were OK. It's just that The Four Tops had a few songs that I especially liked.