1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

four v one, instructions to defend yourself

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ok all you martial artists, what do you think of this?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My advice is to run.

3. lets say you cant get away and are surrounded

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get on my back and light a fart on fire.

5. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Rotating on your back (like they do in Breakdance) AND lighting your fart could be even better.

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Good to know in case I ever get attacked by choreographed ninjas who wait for you to signal their next move.

7. This is correct.

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Act like you're completely insane and fight like a hockey player.

9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    That would be one time it would be nice to be a suicide bomber .

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I tell my wife they insulted her shoes. Then I close my eyes so I don't have to witness the ensuing mayhem.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Life's a lot easier when you spend your time limiting the maximum number of enemies you'll fight simultaneously than preparing to defend yourself against them.

12. Pfft, nonsense.

Best way to get out of that kinda brawl is described by Paul Kaye's kung fu instructional video.

Edit - Link removed, probably a bit too coarse for TB.

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Many moons ago I was confronted with 5 guys who decided they were going to kick my butt. They had me against a wall were I couldn't run so I told them they would surely get me, but I'd surely kill the first one of them I got my hands on. I said you will surely kill me as well, but one of you will die with me so decide which one of you wants to be the one and we'll get this over with. It was the most brazen bluff I ever tried in my life but it worked. It all started over who's turn it was on the one pool table in the bar we were hanging out in and they decided to go on back in and allow the other folks who had money up to play out their turn. As soon as I unlaxed enough to get the heck outta there, I booked and never looked back.

It was a typical case of them talking each other up to where pride would not allow them to back off, and I got picked as the one to take their beating. Their attitude changed when I convinced them it was gonna be much more than just a little friendly Friday night asskickin.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    That sounds like a tactic I would try to use.

15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    That video is a joke. A group of attackers never all punch at once in a choreographed attack, on the street.

16. Simple. Don't get into that situation. Hasn't happened to me in 63 years...because I stay out of places where it might.

17. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Idealistic and unrealistic.

18. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Wouldn't mind seeing that. PM?

19. I'm telling you guys, Paul Kaye's kung fu instructional video shows realistic handling of street fights, much better than the video in the OP...

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I studied martial arts years ago. And I have been in that situation twice (3 guys once and 4 guys once). I have a theory (that has worked both times). The more of them there are, the more it becomes about psychology (and less about brute force). When faced by multiple "attackers" (for lack of a better word) I quickly determined who was the alpha male. Take him out and the others will run. Thankfully it worked both times.

Once I was able to talk myself out of having to deal with any of the three guys who were out to do me harm simply by expressing my desire to take on the biggest one. Simply by saying "You guys wait over there. I want to talk to him" I pointed and walked forcefully towards the biggest one and they all took off.

In the interest of full disclosure, I carried myself pretty well in all three situations but was scared to death the whole time each time. On the outside I may have seemed like a BA but on the inside I was curled up in the corner sucking my thumb. I hope I am never ever faced with that kind of decision to make again.

Fighting four guys at once who really mean you harm is probably nearly impossible.

(I did not watch the video.)