1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

four v one, instructions to defend yourself

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Never been in that situation, but I believe when out numbered, the man law of never kicking another man in the jewels no longer applies.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Coming from a long-time martial artist, yes, it is unrealistic. But he did say something correct after demonstrating the defense: RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
    1. Avoid the situation by running or talking your way out of it
    2. Avoid any attacks by moving and using attackers' momentum against them (as he demonstrated)
    3. Take out as many as possible quickly (10 seconds or less) and GTFO before any cops arrive

Note: If your life is in danger (which, in reality, it probably isn't in situations like this -- just guys trying to act tough), the eyes, throat, and balls are fair game. Also, if you punch anyone in the nose, their eyes will water.

3. This is better..

4. OK I'll bite. The problem with this is that his first move is not really clearing the danger zone. Any one of those guys could be striking to the body or following through with a kick. The first thing you need to do is get the hell out of there. Which is kind of what he's doing but thinking he is going to disable 2 guys on the way through. I wouldn't bet the house on that.

In Aikido there is a multi-attacker (Jiu Waza) strategy called 'striking your own shadow' - where you move immediately to a point where you can attack the position you were standing. In this case it would put you outside that ring of 4 and facing the back of one of your attackers. The strategy then is to keep your attackers behind each other so you are only faced with one or 2 at a time.

This is kinda unavoidable when training and demonstrating martial arts. Best practice is to train against 'worst case scenario'. The idea of the exercise is to develop strategies that can therefore be used in situations which aren't idealistic and unrealistic.

5. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    In a fight, the only one who believes in man laws and things like that, is the guy who is preparing himself to lose. Crippling your opponent for life if need be to escape grave harm to yours is, always was, and always will be, acceptable.

6. rolandm

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    And FWIW, I had a rather drunk guy standing with a couple of his buddies try to goad me into an altercation once regarding the kilts I wear, referring to it as a skirt. So I asked him, "If you plan on continuing to run your mouth like that, you have to ask yourself how it's gonna be to spend the rest of your life known as the guy who got his a$$ handed to him by a guy wearing a "skirt." And that goes for you two as well."

And yes, I was scared to death that they'd say they were OK with their chances. LOL. As it was, they weighed their options and decided to just have another beer instead.

7. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Look at the biggest one and say, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!" They always run!

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Take the biggest guy in the world, shatter his knee and he'll drop like a stone.

[​IMG]

9. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Defending yourself in these types of situations is not pretty. You must be prepared to gouge out eyes, push nose cartilage completely sideways against cheekbones, snap fingers back against knuckles, rip ears off, bite fingers off, and break wrists, legs, and windpipes. It's not pretty, and should be avoided at all costs, including being seen as a pussy afraid to fight.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Bwahahaha!

Attached Files:

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Once worked for a company that was asked to field a softball team for some intra company games. We showed up to the first game with just enough people to cover the field and three of our players had never played ball in their lives. When the other team showed up in their uniform shirts and started some well rehearsed warmups, one of our girls started worrying about how bad we were going to get beat. I told her no problem, I can fixit where there's no way we would lose. I told her to go over to the other team, walk up to the biggest guy, and tell him we may lose the game but we WILL win the fight afterward. It didn't work. They handed us our hat, ass, and gasmask on a silver platter. :D:D:D

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You played that one all wrong. You should have told her to go to whoever was in charge on the other team, and let him know that if she won, maybe she'd take him out for dinner.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very true, being 5'8" and about 185 at 55 years old I find avoiding trouble to be the best solution. But if confronted, a few rounds of .45 ACP is a great equalizer.

But there are a few myths about self defense.

1) Kung fu Boy can take on your best twenty men.This comes from watching too many Jason Stratham movies. The reality is while a Navy Seal or a Mossad agent might stand a chance against two relatively athletic men with fighting experience, three or more and he's toast. Two on one beat downs are fairly common even against the best trained fighters.

2) Kung fu woman can take on your 250 pound trained fighter and her blazing speed will disable him instantly. This comes from watching too many Maggie Q flicks. While Martial arts may be great fitness for young women, and may help them escape a dangerous situation. The reality is there is no substitute for youth, size, and upper body strength in a fight. And I don't care how well trained a 5'3 100 pound women is, I'm putting my money on the athletic 6'4"" 225 pound young man every time in that fight.

There is a saying from the old west that is still very true. God may have created all men equal, but Sam Colt keeps them that way. Against a superior physical opponent or a group of opponents, the only true equalizer is a weapon, and a weapon that projects damage from a distance (mace or a fire arm) is your best choice.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike Valley takes on 4 guys and dominates.

15. The Rodney Mullen part of that video was so much better than Vallely's :p

16. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I see what you're saying.

17. rolandm

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Hmm. Wrestled 112 in school. Regularly wrestled guys weighing 50+ pounds more than me in practice. I held up very well against them, including pinning the JV heavyweight who weighed 260.

I had little upper-body strength, but I had a lot of leg power, speed and amazing cardio. Using that kind of strength and stamina to my advantage and their subsequent disadvantage was my game plan. And I knew a lot of angles for making it work.

Point is, it's not the size of the dog that determines the odds. It's how capable the dog is of putting the fight on his terms, as opposed to yours.

18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    On the flip side of this, I am a large guy (6'4, 210) and during sparring have tapped out to guys much smaller than me. Training, while not always an equalizer, can go a long way.

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've trained in martial arts for a good portion of my life. Make no mistake, technique is king no matter your body size.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    that law is out the window in ANY street fight situation