1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Four Ways to Become an Influencer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 23, 2015.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I read an article in non-music magazine called Relevant about becoming an influencer, and thought about it in terms of being a band leader and/or artist.

Here's the 4 ways:
    A track Record of Success
    People allow themselves to be influenced by those who have already produced results.

Trustworthiness
    Trust is how influencers win the battle for people’s hearts. Change-makers are consistent, honest and open. They balance passion and patience.

Identifying and Communicating Values
    People don’t align with individuals, they align with core values. Everyone wants to belong, and this desire ingrains a strong tendency to align with things we identify with.

Vision
    Our world is hungry for hope. Influencers create a picture of the future that inspires.

Influence is not granted to those who point fingers or breed negativity. It’s not simply handed to those with positional power or a fancy job title. Influence is given to those who cast a powerful vision for a better tomorrow, exemplify strong core values, patiently breed trust and start by first getting their own hands dirty.

Curious as to people's thoughts on this.....

Pacman likes this.
  2. Definitely think this is relevant for selecting a team to surround you (manager, lawyer, etc.)...

...although the BL/Artist needs to have the Vision, and the ability to communicate to the rest of the team.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    TripleDouble likes this.
  4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    IME - you better have more than just one of those.
    Two might be enough.
    As long as Trustworthiness is one...

5. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Fire him.

Fat Steve likes this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Another important point: surround yourself with people intelligent enough to recognize the points mentioned above.

Misfit Wookiee likes this.
  7. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    One way to communicate values is to show respect from the moment you meet someone. Often I hear people say "You gotta earn my respect!" WRONG...you should respect every living person until you have reason not to respect them! Get that chip off your shoulder!

Respect, however, should not be confused with trust...trust has to be earned.

Be kind and respectful to all you meet and you will be recognized as a good person worthy of accepting influence from.

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    All that is well and good but is such a transient state - kinda like Maslowe's "self-actualization". Lofty goal, some times acheivable, rarely permanent.

I'm more of a pragmatist. Like my old sergeant-major used to say: "Beatings will continue until morale improves".

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Seems like a very good list. I'd also add: don't have a vision that's too weird or labor-intensive. It's easier to influence people to do something easy. Something I remember from my architecture studies: Michaelangelo wasn't a very influential architect, because he was such a genius that he was too difficult to imitate.

Don't know if I really believe that, but taking things to the musical level: sample libraries. I've made some, they're much more popular than any of my songs (recent double bass hit 2000 downloads in the first month), I've managed to influence quite a few other people to record samples for me to edit and map, one friend even made a couple of smaller libraries of his own, but I'm yet to influence anyone enough to make them want to spend their time precisely editing the start points of hundreds of samples. It doesn't take a ton of skill, just a lot of time and is pretty damn boring.

10. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How about: Have something of value to offer.

Fat Steve likes this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Money is the Ultimate influencer.

12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Reputation.

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Pretty good, but #1 and #3 seem to contridict each other.

14. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Laugh of the week, thanks. I've worked trade shows where we did stuff like this. And I'm not hungry for hope, I'm hungry for honesty when it comes to my consuming of art. And for a decent slice of pizza, which seems impossible to find up here.

15. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    An influential person can have little or nothing of value to offer, and conversely a great idea can be overlooked if the presenter is not influential.

Influence is about perceived value not actual value.

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's fair. I tend to be leery of people who try to inflate the perceived value of something without actually improving it. If you want to influence me, don't be one of those people. A raw deal with "values" and "vision" is still a raw deal.

17. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    But for musicians, this is often not the case.

There's lots of folks who would never play in a cover band or wedding band, even though they would make more money doing that.
    There's too many guys who won't put in the work to land or keep a paying gig that only requires minimal effort.
    There's lots of folks who'd rather make nothing playing what they want rather than make money playing what other people want.

18. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I don't think it has to be hope for world peace or anything like that, it can be as simple as prospects for decent gigs or a recording. People are more likely to line up with someone who gives them hope for better gigs, better music, better comraderie, etc.

19. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Good points. My primary criteria are the caliber and collegiality of the musicians, and the quality of the music.

20. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Very true. Music tends to attract people who don't care too much for money. If you really are strongly influenced by money, you'll probably have a serious career or business in a better-paying field, and any money you can make from gigs will not be that significant to you.

Somewhere in the middle of those two there's a subset of musicians who really care about gigs and how much those gigs pay, but they're probably a minority. They're quite easy to find if you've got paying gigs, though.