Four wire Speakon Cable w/SVT4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rashrader, Mar 4, 2006.

1. rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I just bought a new SVT4 and PR410HLF cab. Yeah!! Happy me.

Ampeg supplied me with a nice bridged mono speakon to 1/4" cable. But, a friend of mine gave me a really nice speakon to speakon cable. It is, however, a four wire cable.

I understand that I need to be 1+(white) and 2+(red) on the amp side, from the bridged mono output, to a 1+ and 1- position on the cab end.

So, I should take the red wire and swap it with the 1- wire on the cab end, right?

Also, what should I do with extra wires? Leave them in place? Cut and cap them? Or, should I just cut the 1/4" end off of the Ampeg supplied cable and wire it to a speakon?

2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Unless speakon cables are hard to get in your area, you should leave it alone. That is a standard bi-amp cable, and is MUCH harder to find than a two wire. With a two wire, you would just need to move 1- to 2+ on the amp end, and walk away. If you have a friend with a GK rig, the 4 wire is exactly what is used for the GK HMS biamp, as well as any biamped PA cabinet or monitor.

- Tim
  3. If you swap the -1 and +2 leads on one end of the cable, you will be in bridge mode. With the cable set up this way, the orientation of the cable (which end is attached to each component) doesn't matter. I do however use some colored tape to indicate which of my speakons are wired bridge and which are stereo.

Those connectors are handy because you don't need a soldering iron to swap the leads.