1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fractured wrist recovery/time off bass

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeD1687, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Hey folks,

I don't post a bunch here, but I've had a lot more time on my hands lately. On the 4th of July, my girlfriend and I hopped into my 4 month old car to grab lunch and headed out. Not 5 minutes later was I going through a green light when a girl driving the opposite direction doesn't pay attention and turns her car straight into me. I slammed on the brakes and horn as soon as I realized what was happening, but she (16 year old in mommy's car) had no idea where the brake pedal was and totaled my car, my glasses, and fractured my right wrist in two spots.

Just had surgery on it and am all casted up. Anyone here ever have a radius or scaphoid fracture before? How long were you in recovery? When could you play again? I need to play and I'm getting super depressed without it.

2. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Yes just before Xmas 2011, had 2 brakes and a distal radius fracture.
    Have you had a plate put in?
    I had a titanium plate put into my wrist, I was off work for 6 weeks, after that I was back playing bass again.
    I couldn't play with my fingers very well for a while after.
    Still have pain in my hand now and then, but it's not much.
    I tend to use a pick so doesn't hurt as much.
    You may find your wrist will be stiff for a while, I still don't have full movement back yet after 7 months.

Are you left or right handed?

I'm kind of glad I broke my right and not left, with my right being my plucking hand and not my fretting hand, as I wouldn't be able to fret very well still.

I've been using one of those finger grip exercisers to strengthen my hands and fingers, it's work great for me.

Here's to a speedy recovery. :D

3. I play right handed, though I am left handed. I fractured the right wrist, and the surgery was getting a plate in there.

I hope to be playing in a few months at the most, but your experience is encouraging. Thanks!

4. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Just make sure you rest you hand until the cast is off, and when it is don't do any heavy lifting etc, the docs may give you some exercises to do when the cast is off.

5. Yeah I've been trying to take it as easy as I can on it; but I do try to keep my fingers moving. Dont know if that's a good or bad thing.

6. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    No that's good wiggle your fingers, helps loosen them off, I played on my xbox for a bit, that really helped, I mean there wasn't much else for me to do lol. :)

I mean just don't over do it, if it hurts then stop, just a bit at a time.