Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frak zappa

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by soundofphysics, Oct 23, 2000.

1. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i recently bought some frank zappa cd's out of couriousity and was immediatly impressed. The music is totally eccentric, yet compellingly technical, and utter genious, if you've never really listened to zappa, i strongly reccomend picking some up, hte stuff is really cool.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ONE SIZE FITS ALL!!! ONE SIZE FITS ALL!!! ONE SIZE FITS ALL!!! oh, and THINGFISH!!! THINGFISH!!! THINGFISH!!!

and

APOSTROPHE!!! OVERNITE SENSATION!!!

gawd, there's so many more. i think my favorite FZ song is inca roads. at least at this moment right .... HERE.

oops, it's changed, ok, now my favorite is father oblivion....no wait, uh, city of tiny lights...

frank ruled. RIP :(

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Dynamo-Hum, dynamo-hum...
    Don't know where that girl's cumin' from".

Killer drummers(like Bozzio & Coliauta), bassists, & a tight n' wacky horn section(Fowler Bros).

JT-
    Are you too young to remember the poster, Phi Zappa Krappa?

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    just saying zappa means there's top knotch musicianship.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    "Ram it, ram it, ram it up yer poop-chute..." :eek:

BP Mag ran an interview with Scott Thunes back in '97 (it's not in the on-line archive though), who played with Zappa in the '80s. Not a very personable guy (seems we have a lot of that lately - you guys check out the TB-related thread over on FDP??). I didn't I listen to much Zappa after "Joe's Garage" though, so I don't think I ever heard Thunes' playing. You don't play for Zappa and suck though.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Zappa was great. Scott Thunes was also really cool, I have seen the video, Does humor belong in music and that is SOOOO cool! I think Tunes said in the interview that he had no interest in being a bass player...

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I loved Joes Garage that was some great stuff I think the name of this other album I had was Zoot Allures I only had it on cassette a long time ago and it's long gone now but I remember a song on there called Miss Pinky great tune, I'm going to have to look for that one.

Who you jiving with that cosmic debre!

[Edited by Funkster on 10-24-2000 at 08:37 AM]

8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    FYI--for all the Zappa-philes out here:

RykoDisc has re-released the entire catalog of Zappa recordings that span his entire career. I'm not sure how many that is at the moment. ( suffice it to say that I have accumulated some 40+ plus Zappa recordings over the years!).

If yer local record joint don't carry 'em---they can be ordered direct from RykoDisc.

....still stuck to seat 38 on Fido 3!!!!

9. I envy you coming to FZ's music for the first time - like anything else, you can only do it for the first time once, and once only. I didn't get to his music until I was in my thirties, but once I started really listening, and was able to understand what he was doing, I was hooked. My favourites include: "I'm The Slime" (so apropos!), "Moving to Montana", "We Are Not Alone", "Ship Ahoy". Man, was FZ GOOD! Check out the 6 double-CD sets "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore", and also "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life" (includes covers of "Stairway To Heaven", "Theme from Bonanza" to name but two!).

FZ Rules!

- Wil

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    One thing that I love about Zappa is the fact that if you don't like one album, you can probably find one that you will like. I first got into Zappa with the '80s stuff, but now I tend to fall more for the 70s stuff. I am listening to the Lather 3 disc set as we speak (or, as I type...).

Heck, I even got the cover to Ship arriving too Late to Save a Drowning Witch as a tattoo. That tat has inspired some great conversations at parties at gigs....

I have a nice video of the band from '88 in Spain that was shot for Italian television. They do a great version of Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers into I am the Walrus.

Music (and the world at large) simply hasn't been the same since he left...

11. "She's tryin' to
    Grind up my jones
    Grind up my jones
    Well, she's tryin' to
    Grind up my jones
    Grind up my jones
    She don't ever wanna leave it alone
    She can push; she can shove
    Till it's just a nub
    She can push; she can shove
    Till it's just a nub
    Just a nub"

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i guess i am :(, though, what's the story with that?

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    hot meat
    hot rats
    hot zitz
    hot wrists
    hot ritz
    hot roots
    hot soots

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Ahh, you young whelps! The poster in mention was a shot of a classic Frank, perched upon yon "throne"...in all his glory. Some us actually read the back pages of National Lampoon, I see!
    Where do you start with Frank....Mothers of Invention...We're only in it For the Money....Hot Rats (the only one I actually have, but it DOES have "Peaches en Regalia")....Live at The Fillmore 1971 (when members of the Turtles joined the ranks....."Before we do it in the back of your Gremlin, sing me the song, the hit song, the one with the bullet [crack]...Imagine me and you, I do, I think about....")...and on and on.
    Not to mention all the people who got their start with Frank....Lowell George, Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, George Duke, Terry Bozzio, just to name a few.

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
  16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    L-O-L! :D
    Yeah, that's one of the posters; there was also another that had Frank looking straight at you. I can still see those hangin' in some South Philly record store(about 30 years ago!).

There was the "rumor" that Frank actually did this on stage in lieu of actually doin' a concert. You know, he came on stage, did his business, & split.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, i get it now, a very good friend of mine, the guy who introduced me to frank in fact, had that poster over his "loo", the head-on one.

18. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    "I have seen it. I have been through it. Remember, I was signed with Warner Brothers for 8 f$#%ing years." and Bozzio as the devil was amazing. How he could play those drum licks while he talked is beyond me.
    Some favorites; Dirty love (like those tacky little pamphlets in your daddy's bottom droor), The Dangerous Kitchen, Ethel was a Mountain..., You Are What You Is, Aprostrophe (Jack Bruce did some nice playing on that), Cosmic Debris, and of course Dynamo-hum (I really didn't mind that she called me a bum, I knew right away she was really gonna cum......)

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Watch out where the Huskies go...

Reissues?? I have the originals

Mwaaaaaahhaahhahhaaa!!!

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...on 8-track? :D