1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fralin Jazz magnet issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mani, Apr 21, 2009.

1. mani

mani

Apr 23, 2006
    Tasmania
    Ok, I my new Fralin equipt Jazz arrived today. Haven't had much of a chance to really play it amplified (neighbours, kids etc) but when I did I noticed a distinct difference in tone between the A and D strings with the neck pickup solo'd. Grabbing a screwdriver and waving it near each pole piece I found that both A string pole pieces and one of the E poles had a normal magnet pull (similar to the bridge pickup and the Aero's in my Jazz 5, however the other E pole piece and those on the D and G strings had basically no magnetic pull what so ever.
    So, I assume I have a dud and should be chasing a replacement pickup? If not, what gives?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi mani.

Mmm... Magnets should exhibit magnetic pull.

I'd say to e-mail Mr. Fralin but his Web site only lists this:

Mailing Address and Contact Information
    Fralin Pickups LLC.
    2015 W. Laburnum Ave, 2nd Floor
    Richmond, VA 23227
    Call: 804-358-2699
    Fax: 804-358-3431​

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    call them. he'll likely answer the phone himself, and is very cool to talk to. (just do it during eastern standard time daytime hours!)

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hello Mr. Wright.

I'd just like to say thank you for your set up tip I read about on THE GEAR PAGE a while back. :)

I used it on my MIJ Fender VI and it made a noticeable improvement in the instrument's overall acoustic resonance. :bassist:

5. mani

mani

Apr 23, 2006
    Tasmania
    My only hassle is that I'm in Tasmania, which means I have to post it back to the guy who put the bass together for me in Melbourne who then has to post it to his supplier in the US who then has to sort it out with Fralin. Hopefully they can have a replacement heading my way ASAP.

It's interesting that doing my screwdriver test on the bottom side of the pickup showed magnetic pull to be much better but still not perfect. It's a strange one. Hopefully will be sorted out soon enough.