Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fralin Jazz OR Dimarzio Ultra Jazz????????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigsammy, Feb 11, 2001.

1. bigsammy

bigsammy

Jan 29, 2001
    Moline, IL
    hey
    i have a MIM Fender Jazz that i need to replace the pickups on. ive narrowed it down to fralins or dimarzio ultra jazz. i want something thats VERY versitile, and that can sound anything from smooth warm "aged" and deep to snappy high and and modern. help me out! price is not an issue.
    thanks,
    sam

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't have a Jazz, but since noone else has responded, I'll give it a shot. First, read the J-Bass pickup shootout in the "Gear" section at www.bassplayer.com . Both of those pickups are covered. Secondly, realize that the standard Fralin Jazz pickup is designed to replicate the "vintage" jazz sound, although he will custom wind them for you if you like. The DiMarzio's are humbucking, the Fralins are single-coil. Also, the MIM's have two pickups the same size, while most replacement sets will have two different sizes. Hope this helps.

3. If price is not an object, and you want to combine vintage and modern, I would suggest Bartolini 9WJ4's with a J-Retro preamp. You'll have the best of both worlds. If you want to retain the exposed polepiece look, how about Fenders '60s pups. You will need to get a luthier to extend the back pup rout, as was mentioned, Fender in their infinite wisdom (!) decided the MIM models would be different from everything else.

4. the thing about the whole MIM having the same size pu differs from bass to bass, as all fender owners know, i got the ultra jazz fitted into my j bass and was very happy with what i got, there very well priced and the improvment in sound and tone in noticable but not massive. what im trying to say is , there a much needed replacement/ improvement, but if your looking for a totally different sound to what u have at the moment u may need to go down the active/ EQ-able route,

the pickups u mentioned are in my opinion , designed to be a direct replacement therefore retaining the charectoristic sound of the j bass,,

like i said i have had only pleasure out of the ultra jazz's and can highly reccommend them but only get them if your sure ,, do your home work like others have siad,,,,,, it took me a year to getting around to buying them,,, i got them fitted proffesionally and the whole bass setup and checked,, my only regret is getting the cavity sheilded, but i'll do that when i've got time

hope it helps

if you want some .wav files mail me, i'll see what i can do

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've had both pups in my MIM jazz. I like the ultra jazz better. A tad more output and less noisy than the stock pups. A bit "thicker" sounding as well. The Fralins are good, I think the output is kind of low, and I really don't think they sound much different than the pups on my 62 RI or my Am Std.
    Also, the fralins are much more expensive. I got my Dimarzios for $75. The Fralins were $155.

6. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Go with Sadowsky Pickups. They go for 150 + Shipping.

Rule the world and rock...

David