fralin jazz pickup problem. need help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have a fender 75 RI japan jazz bass made in 1993. the guy i bought it from replaced the original pups with bartolinis. later he replaced the barts with fralins. heres the problem... the tone knob works fine. when i turn both volume knobs up all the way i get a real weak sound. when i turn either volume knob down just a little bit i get the full sound of the cranked pup and about half the volume of the pup thats turned down a little bit. the knob thats turned down a little bit doesnt charge volume as i turn it down till its all the way off. if i turn one volume knob all the way off the other works normal. i dont know anything about wireing pups or anything. i took it to my local shop and they said they would start by replacing the pots but arent sure what the problem would be. any help would be great. im going to get it fixxed but need to have some idea of what the problem is so it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg. thanx mark
  2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I had a set of SD 1/4lbs that did that, they were wired out of phase.
  3. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    how do i fix it?
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
  5. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
  6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I had both put into my jazzbass...

The bridge pup was not working with the tone knob, and it turned out that one of the copper wires was cut by accident by the guy doing to installation. Check the copper wire to see if there is a break.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi, as I mentioned to you in PM, and as fred312b also already said, it sounds like you have out of phase pickups. Did you read the thread he linked to, it provides useful info?

You also never said whether this just started happening, or has always sounded this way?

Sometimes a set of single coil pickups will have one wound reverse from the other for hum cancelling purposes.
    Usually pickups will have the wire colors mean the same thing on each pickup. For example, black is hot and white is ground. In a reverse wound pair, one of the pickups (usually the bridge pickup) is reverse wound. So in this case, on the bridge pickup black would be ground and white would be the hot.

So, you would fix it by opening up the cavity and checking / changing the hot/ground wiring as necessary. I don't know how much, if any, experience you have doing this

Sadowsky single coils are reverse wound for hum cancelling, I know SD do some of theirs that way as well.