Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fralin or Lawrence?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by whatever, Nov 19, 2003.

1. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    I am going to get new pick ups next month both Lindy Fralin and Bill Lawrence are possibility's.

What would you chose for a P/J set up?

I was also toying with the idea of using a large humbucker type pick up at the bridge (like the fender deluxe). My bass (Schecter Model T) is routed for a Jazz. Do you think it would be really expensive to have the bass routed to accept the bigger pick up. What would be the sound difference of the larger humbucker at the bridge vs. the Jazz? I am only considering passive pick ups.

Thanks far any help, I know I asked a lot of questions.

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Depends on what tone you want. If I remember correctly, Lawrence has ceramic magnets in his pickups -which I happen to like- but they give a very different tone than alnico. Fralin's are what you want if you are after that vintage Fender tone.

3. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    Hey thanks,

I am looking for a vintage type sound.

I am now considering a Nordstrand P/J set

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Interesting. I don't know anything about nordstrand. However, I believe fralin achieved "fame" by rewinding/refurbishing vintage fender pickups and my understanding is that Fralin is what you want if you are after the "pre-CBS" fender tone. I think the Seymour Duncan antiquity are supposed to be quite good, too. You should check out the "Bass Player" J-pickup shootout. The link is somewhere in this forum, just do a search...

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    For the vintage sound I would go Fralin. I have a set and I have also used Bill Lawrence pickups before. I love the BL pickups. There are great and they are priced so reasonably. However, for a vintage sound the Fralins are the pups.

7. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    I did, and I am still undecided.

How would you describe there sound? I do like the price of the BL's.