1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fralin or Lollar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cstar, Aug 11, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    I have Fender 62 reissue pups in my jazz bass right now and I want to upgrade them to either Fralin or Lollar pickups.

I wouldn't be looking for anything too fancy. This gives you an idea of my options:

Fralins: (stock style) http://www.fralinpickups.com/bass.asp#jazz

Lollar: http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=jazz-bass-pickups

Just curious, which would you go with and why? I guess that could be a tough question but I'm really curious. I really like vintage bass tone, but also like a tightness / clarity. Price is not a factor because either way I would pay the same.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I think the big question is what don't you like about the '62s? Fralin and Lollar both have their take on vintage spec pickups with the Lollars being wound slightly hotter than the Fralins.

The problem is that not every pickup works in every bass and every player has a slightly different interpretation of vintage tone. So it really is just trial and error. I happen to really like Fralins but they are closer to the '62s than the Lollars so YMMV.

3. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Helpful reply! Thank you.

It's not that I dislike the 62's really. It's tough to explain. They sound great, the Fralins and Lollars just have a similar yet somehow refined sound to me. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. Honestly, I would probably keep the 62's even if I changed them out because I could see myself going back to them.

In a way I'm just kind of experimenting.

It's good to know that the Lollars a little bit hotter. That makes total sense listening to the sound files on their site.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the opposite has been true in my experience. the standard wind came out even lower dcr than the published spec in my case. the fralins were grindier in the upper midrange/lower highs.

5. LowBC

LowBC Commercial User

Nov 17, 2008
    Music Go Round - Aurora, CO (owner) We buy used gear!
    A recording engineer friend of mine's reaction to my geeking out over a piece of gear once was, "yeah, but it won't write you a chorus".

And he was right. Turn up your amp a little and you'll be fine.

good luck on the search!

6. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Hurst, tx
    Can't speak for Lollars, but I have Fralins on my '72 jazz, because one of the original pups died. Bridge Fralin on my Coronado II, same reason, Fralin on my P due to modding, because it was my first Fralin, and I loved it. That’s the reason my CII and J have them. I was never that fond of my J before Fralins, although I do like my original neck pup on my CII better than the bridge Fralin.

I really doubt if you could go wrong with either.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Lollar's are my favorite Jazz pickup.

His 60's jazz pickups are great for that vintage vibe.

madjazzbass likes this.
  8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've got Lollar's in my roadworn Jazz bass. I love the way they sound. When the tone is up they can deliver some serious bite. And it mellows out very nicely when you roll off the tone.