1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fralin or nordstrand?? jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by midichlorine, Feb 24, 2008.

1. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    are they really close in comparison?
    whats up with the humcancels?

does that change the character?

need answers
    i'm buying 2morrow

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've played the Fralins
    Those are very airy very harsh pickups IMO. Never played Nordstrands but I would think the Nordies are a better pickup. The Fralin didn't impress me.

3. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    WWW.gui****r.com

A set of Custom Pickups from here will take care of all your decisions.

4. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    I can vouch for nordstrands (NJ4SEs anyway....). They are dead silent but they really do sound a lot like single coil pickups. You absolutely cant go wrong with a set of nordstrands.

5. Can't comment on the Fralins but I replaced some 1995 American Standard Jazz pickups with a set of NJ4's last year and it improved my tone in every capacity. More output, growl and clarity. If you purchase the Nordstrands, you won't regret it. The bass that I did the swap in was stolen but with my insurance money, I plan on purchasing a new American Standard and do the same modification. Will also get a set of the NP4's so I can see how the Precision pups are too.

6. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    Tried them both. Can't go wrong with either.

7. Used Nordy Nj5s. Nice pups, Good clarity. A little shy on low end, i.e, not too vintagey sounding. I find AEROS are the best all around between modern clarity, unstrained highs, and the low end of the vintage pups.

8. apehead

apehead

Aug 19, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    I'd really like to know which would be a good pickup sound for that good ol' fashioned "jazz bass does rickenbacker" sound ala
    Richard Sinclair, Geddy Lee, Greg Lake, Etc. The Aero Pickups in my bass sound great, punchy, but mellowed due to my flatwound usage (LaBella 760FL's are the Sh*t!!). I have another bass Jazz Bass loaded with some POS "modern-voiced" Seymour Duncan AJJ-1 Actives at the moment, and I wanted to put some nice vintage-style passives in thier place. I was thinking Nordstrand or Fralins, due to the massive body of praise for both. Which would get me closer? I would prefer clarity over bottom end (to a degree). What do the APC Repair & Custom Services pickups sound like (the WWW.gui****r.com reference)? How much did your P/U's cost Rapisme?

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have the noiseless Fralins, and think they're excellent. They are very close to a single coil sound, and while I think stock Fender J pickups are decent, the Fralins were a nice upgrade. They have more clarity, growl, and punch. The noiseless operation is a huge plus.