Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fralin P/J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rod B., Jan 3, 2004.

1. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I'm thinking about changing out the pickups in my Fender Hot Rod Precision (passive P/J). I've decided on Fralin's, but I am unsure about the P-pup. I know I want the J-pup to be a split Jazz which he cannot overwind. Which method would you choose to balance the volume, just mess with pickup heights, or underwind the P-pup?

I play blues. It may be modern, traditional, funky blues, jump, but blues. I'm really want warm, sweet tone. I really like Bob Babbit's tone of the current Funk Bros.

The thing that has me hesitating on underwinding is, I want the warm sweet tone and am worried about getting the tone too thin. I mainly use the P-pup soloed. I go both equal a few times and solo the J-pup only on one song.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Rod B.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I am told when it comes to Lindy Fralin pups if you are unhappy with the way they sound he will work with you until you are satisfied with them, even if he has to re-wind them I'm told he will do it at no cost! He will make it sound the way you want them to sound. I myself use Fralin pups, I have the jazz and the pbass pups and couldn't be happier.

3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Yes, I can exchange. But I'm trying to eliminate the need to do so if I can.

So are both of your's "stock" rather than over or under wrapped?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes they are stock:bassist: