1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fralin Precision Pickup - What Else?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DanGouge, Aug 23, 2012.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Thinking very seriously about getting Fralins for my '03 Highway 1 Precision. What I would like to know is if I am doing this work on it, should I make any other changes to the pots or caps or anything else at the same time? Any particular recommendations for what works well in this case?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it'll be awesome just like it is, but;

you could bag the greasebucket caps for a normal tone control to get that resonant low-mid bump with the tone knob on "0" back.

you could put 500k pots in there to add an aggressive grind to the sound.

you could get a linear volume pot to make the control more even instead of having that big drop from "10".

(or you could do all three! that's what i did with my fralin in my american standard P, and it rocks).

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    500K gets it grindier... Interesting, may have to try that. Who should I source pots from? The local guitar shop good enough?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sure, as long as they have CTS pots. (technically, they make it slightly louder and brighter, which translates to more grind when you have any kind of amp compression or grit going on. you can always nudge the tone knob down a bit to get back into vintage territory.)

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    They seem like they should, it's a pretty boutique-y place, they should have nice things.

6. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    0.1uf cap