Fralin v. Dimarzio on a fodera

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gt96g, Apr 29, 2012.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Okay so this is a follow up to an earlier thread, I recently went ahead and swapped out the emg pj's on my monarch to a dimarzio dp126 set. I had initially been thinking fralins or nordstrands but decided I didn't want to spend 200+ and had a positive experience with dimarzio in the past. So i purchase the set, the very next day I see a fralin pj set on tb and it was reasonable enough so i decided to pick it up and would do an ab between the two sets. I got the dimarzio set installed about 5 days ago and it has been outstanding. The tone is exactly what I was looking for. The emg set seemed very sterile to me, too clean no grind or grit and poor midrange presence. The Dimarzios are the polar (forgive the pun) opposite. gritter but still clear sounding. And the brightness and clarity of them really complements the warmness of the mahogany body quite well

I was thinking the dimarzio set would be an improvement over the emgs but not this much and now I am wondering if the fralins could possibly be better. The only time I have ever heard a fralin set was on a lakland p bass in a GC and it sounded great but quite a bit more pronounced in the lowend and warmer and I am worried with a mahogany body it will end up sounding to warm. I know at this point I am probably nitpicking but for anyone that may have had a similar experience with fralins in an a-b situation, insight would be appreciated.

2. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    If it sounds like you want with the Dimarzios then why change?

3. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I bought the fralins and know they are great pickups so I'd at least like tho hear them.

4. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Oh sorry. Well give it a try. Maybe they will make the bass sound even better

5. post clips please this sounds like a test/AB that a lot of us would love to hear the results of

6. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Ok I could do that.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021