Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fralins or Antiquities?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    hey, I'm looking for some very vintage sounding pikcups, that have punch and clarity, but also have that old school vibe that you usually hear with a vintage bass. I play a P/J, so both are going to end up costing me the same money, so I need some help, Duncan Antiquity II's, or Lindy Fralins?

However, if I can't afford those, what do you guys think of SD vintage pickups? Do those get a good vintage tone?

Greg

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have used Fralin JJ pickups, Duncan Antiquity I PJ's, and Antiquity II JJ's. Hard to go wrong with any of those choices. I have a mild preference for the Antiquity I's, but the Antiquity II's can probably be characterized as more punchy.

The Duncan Basslines vintage style pickups are not bad either, especially if you cannot afford more expensive. I had a set in a J bass, but replaced them (on a whim) with Antiquity II's.

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    ok, cool. Thanks for your help, but sadly, my budget doesn't have a 200 dollar set of pickups in it since I have to buy a new bridge, tuners, some aesthetic items, and pickups for under $250. I think I'll either go with quarter pounders of the vinatge series. If you guys can think of anything else that will give me:

Great punchiness
    good output
    great tone
    smoothness
    not alot of hum
    and reliability, then please tell me.

Greg

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The regular basslines are great pickups IMO. I've got the vintage J set in my Hamer and I've sold off all of my other J basses since that one sounds so good! I've also used the "Hot for P-bass" with great success. A very deep and punchy P pickup.

Are you going to want a hum cancelling pickup in the bridge position? The P won't hum, but any single coil J will.

5. mokl

mokl

Mar 2, 2006
    For vintage tone you should check out Voodoo Pickups. I have a set of JB60`s in my fretless Jazz and they sound simply fabulous - exactly what I thought a vintage Jazz pup should sound like.

http://voodoopickups.com/replaceforjb.html

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm a Fralin fan. I have a set in my MIM Jazz and I couldn't be happier with the sound. Good vintage tone with tons of definition.

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Also have to +1 it for the Fralins.

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston