1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fralins VS. U.S. 62RI Jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Anyone ever compared these two? I looked at the Dr. Dimento experiment but in his description they sounded like they were the same.

But my 62 RI and my Lakland sound completely different. The Lakland is much smoother whereas the 62RI is a bit to harsh at times. I've been experimenting with pickup heights on the 62RI, so I'll see maybe if I can tame it a bit doing this.

The Fralins in my Lakland JO5 and the stock pickups in my Hwy. 1 Jazz sound VERY similiar but the 62RI sounds a good bit different than either of them. Both the Lakland and Hwy. 1 have light Chromes on them whereas the 62RI has medium Chromes but i wouldn't think it would make that much difference just because of the gauge?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    ive found the same smoothness thign to be true of fralins. my main problem with them is that i think they can sound thin at times. i tried them ona lakland JO 4 string with a maple neck. still loved the bass, but it gave me a thin vibe sometimes as far as tone is concerned, not really my thing.

3. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The PUs in the 62RI arent custom shop 62s, they are the fender vintage origional 60s or something like that. I have the custom shops (a steal for $100) and I think that they are quite smoothe. The same PUs are in the 62RI, HW1, and GL jazzes, and I found the custom shops to be a nice upgrade.

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    The pickups in my 62RI have raised pole pieces whereas my Hwy. 1 doesn't. I don't know if that makes any difference or not, but my Hwy. 1 still sounds a lot smoother than the 62 RI.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    after gigging with the 62RI again this weekend I am still having some of the same ongoing issues with not being able to get all the strings volume balanced correctly. The E string is still louder than the rest even after lowering the E string side of the pickup. I'm going to do some more tweaking before my two gigs this weekend and if these adjustments don't work I'm going to start thinking about switching the pickups out.

6. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I had to post my love for the NJ4's I just put into my USA Jazz bass. Just plugged it in for the first time tonight after getting it back and OMFG! These pickups are the sh1t! I did a lot of research before I decided on replacement pups. My finalists were the Fralin's, Fender CS60's and the Nordies. I am sure I made the right choice. Even my wife remarked on how smooth my bass sounded with the Nordies and what an improvement it is from before. Full ,smooth and balanced is how I would describe them. Don't buy any replacement pup's until you have considered Nordstrand.:hyper: :bassist:

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    those are actually one of the two pickups I've been considering.....Nordstrands and Fralins

the main thing I dislike about the stock pickups are the raised pole pieces and the continuous problems with the volume balance on the strings I am having.