1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

framus double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by boonster, Mar 7, 2016.

1. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008
    Hi all, I'm considering buying this Framus double bass for £1200 (my first double bass purchase) as I'm new to the dark art of double bass could anyone tell me if this is good value for money or not? Thanks. IMG_7643.

2. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    It can be. Can you post more photos?

3. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    What a cool body style - more pix pls!

4. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008

5. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008
    unfortunately I don't have any other pic's, I have played it and really liked it, I understand it's hard to price just by looking at one photo, but I'd say it's in good condition apart from some crazing of the surface on the sides, I'm just hopping that the price is average for a Framus, as I'm finding it really hard to find info online.

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    if it's in good shape (it should be checked out by an expert before you buy) and it doesn't need any work, that sounds like a decent price. I'll assume it's plywood? Keep in mind that that body shape is not particularly desirable for most bassists, so if you decide to sell...

7. I mean, aesthetically.. 10/10 worth it

I dig non-ebony heartwood fingerboards, and that body shape seems interesting. I'd think the accessibility to be nice, but no neck for that range... Was it more comfortable for you to play with the "normal" thumb technique, or did you put the thumb on the side of the fingerboard? I'm curious

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    That was my first bass; they are similar to an old Kay and priced about the same. My experience with selling them is just the opposite. They attract a LOT of attention and are an easy selll in the mid $2000 ramge here. Traditionalists tend to bash and complain about them (and everyhing else!), but the hipster crowd loves them. They also made a carved model that goes for more money but are less in demand.

j.
    www.kaybassrepair.com

9. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008
    thanks for that eric, it does seem in good order, i'll take on board the desirability part also.

10. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008

11. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008
    thanks for the reply seiki, if by normal you mean at the back of the neck then rotating depending on weather playing top or bottom strings then, yes

12. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008
    thanks for that james, I think if I do buy it, it will be for keeps and to me it looks super cool. :)

13. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm really impressed. Double basses haven't changed very much since the 19th century. Always cool to see something new.

I'd buy in a heartbeat - never seen one and would hang a price tag on it for double while I gigged the snot out of it.

14. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008
    thanks for your help and advise guys much appreciated.

15. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Imagine turning up at the Berlin Phil with one of these...

16. boonster

boonster

Apr 23, 2008
    LOVE IT! Mine ist grob und rot