1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Framus (Germany) Fully Carved Cutaway Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by spaghettiwestern, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    This is a fully carved Framus cutaway bass that seems to date around or before 1950 (that's a guess).

It's had its share of scratches, dings, and cracks, but I've just gone over the whole bass and all seams are closed and all cracks stable and cleated.

This bass is remarkably loud for its small body size. Very lightweight and responsive as well. I'd keep it, but I already have too many basses in my life.

Some specs:
    • Spruce Top
    • Maple roundback, Maple ribs
    • Ebony fingerboard
    • Painted hardwood tailpiece
    • Bridge adjusters
    • String Length: 42"
    • Upper bout: 19.5"
    • Lower bout: 24.5"
    • Rib depth: 8"
    • Body Length: 41"
    Comes with an old vinyl front-zip case that keeps the dust off it but not much else.

Bass can be seen and played in Brooklyn in the evening.

Framus9.jpg Framus1.jpg Framus2.jpg Framus3.jpg Framus5.jpg Framus6.jpg Framus7.jpg Framus Label.jpg FramusCase.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Wow- that thing looks fun!!!! My first bass was an old cutaway Framus ply. I've never seen one that was fully carved; 'wish we were closer so I could check it out. Are you looking for any kind of trades?

j.

3. Thanks James,

It's a ton of fun, and surprisingly versatile.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure what to trade for - can't fit any more basses in the apartment!

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wish I was closer.

5. Wow! This is exciting, I have the same bass and had yet to find someone else who had the carved version. Wish there was more info around, Framus' site wasn't very helpful. Mine is cracks galore as well, not the thickest ribs on these basses, but what a sound!

6. Yobnwal

Yobnwal

Oct 15, 2009
    Brooklyn
    The great jazz bassist Steve Novosel in DC has a framus cutaway, I believe it is fully carved but not 100% sure- he plays it on an early 90s Shirley Horne album, I'll try to figure out which one

7. Yeah, I like to think the light construction leads to it being so light and responsive - it's portable, loud, and a great sound!

8. Yobnwal

Yobnwal

Oct 15, 2009
    Brooklyn
    There is a pic of Steve with a Framus in the liner notes to the 1996 Shirley Horne Album 'the main ingredient'

I saw him play 'A Love Supreme' on that bass a few months ago with the Andrew White Quartet

Great sounding basses, good luck with the sale Spaghetti Western!

9. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    Is this instrument still available?

10. It is, and it's about to head to David Gage on consignment. Check it out here first!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  11. johnnysgarden

johnnysgarden

Oct 17, 2015
    I am interested but in Seattle. Ever gig out here?

12. Ian Elias

Ian Elias

Nov 17, 2015
    Hey is this at David Gage yet or still in your hands?

13. Sorry for the really long delay - the bass is sold. Thanks all.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021