1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Framus Junior 4 pricecheck, experiences, sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burtbut, Jan 6, 2018.

1. burtbut

burtbut

Jan 6, 2018
    Hi i found this bass guitar, i think its Framus Junior 4, but I'm not sure. Bridge looks weird, but maybe it's just mounted upside down...Do you have any experiences with it? Is it worth repairing? For how much does it sell? 5a4541b86a67254f8ad20000 (1). 5a45417f4767686338d90000. 5a454165d23887b8d6b70000. 5a4541508c646d53cda70000. 5a45413ccbf9334f16be0000. 5a454128e3f4abf9451e0100. 5a454127c5d0343cedec0000. 5a4541119fb61179ad240100 (1).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Yes- There are people who collect Framus- but- they are usually quite proud of having found them in snowbanks, and dumpsters and such.
    I grew up in Spain, and Framus was about the only brand of electric guitar available without paying 4 or 5x the price of an American guitar. I've played LOTS of them.
    First up, making a guitar out of 700 or 800 micro thin laminates makes for a pretty dead instrument. Stable, but dead.
    Framus had a reputation for making pickups that had great A.M. radio reception, but not a lot of output. Often, no output.
    For value- Over the last thirty years in retail, I've been offered lots of them on trade-in, and sadly, they have no trade in value. Often we were asked to just get rid of them.
    Value to you- Hey, to each their own, if you think it's cool-rock it!

3. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    That bridge was most certainly flipped upside down and screwed back down. Flip it upright and see if it has bridge saddles. Then string it up and see if it holds a tune.

On second thought, you will need to unscrew those wide bolts on those threaded stems at the front, and put them on once you've gotten the bridge plate back down over them. It is likely you are missing the bridge which would kind of look like the bridge on a les paul that goes over those long threaded stems and can be height adjusted by those wide nuts.

See what I mean?

LPCGVSCH1-Features-Bridge.

Finding a bridge that will fit the width of those threaded stems may be impossible.

You may want to just buy a bridge to replace the original completely.

4. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Is it worth repairing? Maybe. Check the neck. Is it straight? Does the truss rod work? Are the tuners ok? Does the pickup sound decent? You could get away with slapping a different bridge on it and letting it rip. It may be a cool beater. If you have to replace a bunch of stuff, no, it's not worth putting all that money and work into what is essentially a student model budget bass from an era of poor budget bass manufacturing.

You could always take a bridge off a bass you already own and try it out with a set of used strings to see if it's fundamentally sound. Otherwise, you could always buy a vintage fender style bent bridge for pretty cheap, just mount it so that the adjustments for the saddles lines up with where those threaded rods are so it will be able to intonate for the scale length.

5. burtbut

burtbut

Jan 6, 2018
    Thanks for all your help, but i forgot to mention that i don't own it, i was just offered to buy it for about 140 usd, but i'm not sure if it's worth it. I was just thinking about buying some vintage bass simply because it is vintage and also it would be fun for me to repair it. I don't want to buy nothing expensive but on the other side, i would like to have some decent vintage sound which i guess this guitar can't give me.
    It just seemed interesting to me that it sold for so much on ebay:
    Framus Junior 4 Bass Vintage W-Germany 70er | eBay
    Do you think that if i would buy it and make it playable, i could be able to sell it for 200 or more afterwards if i didn't like the sound?

6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Honestly, $10 is too much. If someone gave it to you, maybe do a cheap fix up, if not, you can do much better at goodwill.
    Every few weeks someone advertises a 'Vintage handmade Framus' on the net. They are dreaming, or there's a sucker born every minute. The ads disappear quickly, so I don't know if they sell, or the owners pull the ads because no one bites.
    By the way, you can do a lot worse. A Framus acoustic would easily qualify as worse...much worse.
    Number one rule of vintage guitars, never forget it- Vintage crap is still crap. Older is not always better.

burtbut likes this.
  7. burtbut

burtbut

Jan 6, 2018
    Ok ty for advice. And could you pls recommend me some vintage guitar/bass that can be bought under 300 that you would buy/ isn't so crappy

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Sadly the old adage hold truer in music than other things-
    Good doesn't come cheap, and cheap doesn't come good.
    Even funky Japanese Tiescos have gone way beyond their worth in price. The vintage market took a bad beating in 2008, and is slowly bouncing back, but true vintage, that holds it's value is all in the multi-thousands of dollars.