1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Framus

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ljazz, Dec 10, 2002.

1. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Does anyone out there own a Framus DB?

Does anyone know anything about Framus DB's? (I do know bill wyman played an electric)

I'm interested because I have a mid '30s and it's a beautiful insturment, but I never hear, or read, about anyone playing them.

2. Not much help...

Try searching the Warwick eb site for a lttle info.

Framus and Warwick were owned by father and son
    so theire history seems very close.

My own EUB from the 50´s looks cool but it´s not my kind of thing...either UB or EB for me ;-)

CV

3. It looks like the first Eberhard Weber's EUB I guess?
    (slick delta shaped body)

4. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Let me tell you why I want to know....

I picked up my bass about 6 years ago. I paid 1300 and a trade of this really, really beat to hell piece of drift wood. (words cannot describe in how bad of shape this thing was in).

Anyway, I went to have it appraised for insurance purposes several years later (I know, I know....I need insurance), so I went to this guy up in Detroit. I guess I asked the wrong question...."how much is this worth?"..... The guy says he could sell it for about 900 bucks. He must of thought I was looking to sell or trade it. Realizing this, I asked "but what about an appraisal value". He tells me "oh....in that case, about $3000." Well, stupid me, I never got the insurance. So now it's several years later, and I've started to play again, and I realize, "Damn, I need to insure this thing!" So, I take it in for another appraisal. $2000. Realizing this number is so much different than the first appraisal, I take it somewhere else..... $1500. I'd give you guys names of the folks I took it too, but I'd hate to bash the one that is correct. What do I do?.....I'd love to have a ballpark figure of what it's worth so that I know what I'm dealing with. (I really wish I was still in Detroit to get the original guy to do a 3000 dollar appraisal again, because to me, it's worth atleast that much.);)

5. My mentor once told me that the value of an instrument is how much someone is willing to pay you for it. That may sound trite, but there's a lot of truth to it. When I opened my first violin shop back in the 70's, I used to give appraisals of worth. However, I quickly discovered that most people didn't really want to know that. In fact some people got mad - " I know it's worth more than that!". This led me to call one of the larger instrument insurance companies and seek their advice. Based on that conversation, I have (for the last 25 years) placed this statement in my appraisals. "In my opinion, the replacement value of this instrument is..." In other words, I estimate that it will cost X number of dollars to buy another instrument in comparable make, age, condition, etc. If you have a bill of sale, I will usually make the insurance appraisal for that amount unless it had increased in value.

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Framus laminated upright. Great bass and I have mine insured for $2000.

Chuck