Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ljazz, Dec 10, 2002.

1. ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Does anyone out there own a Framus DB?

Does anyone know anything about Framus DB's? (I do know bill wyman played an electric)

I'm interested because I have a mid '30s and it's a beautiful insturment, but I never hear, or read, about anyone playing them.
  2. Not much help...

Try searching the Warwick eb site for a lttle info.

Framus and Warwick were owned by father and son
    so theire history seems very close.

My own EUB from the 50´s looks cool but it´s not my kind of thing...either UB or EB for me ;-)

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    It looks like the first Eberhard Weber's EUB I guess?
    (slick delta shaped body)
  4. ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Let me tell you why I want to know....

I picked up my bass about 6 years ago. I paid 1300 and a trade of this really, really beat to hell piece of drift wood. (words cannot describe in how bad of shape this thing was in).

Anyway, I went to have it appraised for insurance purposes several years later (I know, I know....I need insurance), so I went to this guy up in Detroit. I guess I asked the wrong question...."how much is this worth?"..... The guy says he could sell it for about 900 bucks. He must of thought I was looking to sell or trade it. Realizing this, I asked "but what about an appraisal value". He tells me " that case, about $3000." Well, stupid me, I never got the insurance. So now it's several years later, and I've started to play again, and I realize, "Damn, I need to insure this thing!" So, I take it in for another appraisal. $2000. Realizing this number is so much different than the first appraisal, I take it somewhere else..... $1500. I'd give you guys names of the folks I took it too, but I'd hate to bash the one that is correct. What do I do?.....I'd love to have a ballpark figure of what it's worth so that I know what I'm dealing with. (I really wish I was still in Detroit to get the original guy to do a 3000 dollar appraisal again, because to me, it's worth atleast that much.);)
  5. My mentor once told me that the value of an instrument is how much someone is willing to pay you for it. That may sound trite, but there's a lot of truth to it. When I opened my first violin shop back in the 70's, I used to give appraisals of worth. However, I quickly discovered that most people didn't really want to know that. In fact some people got mad - " I know it's worth more than that!". This led me to call one of the larger instrument insurance companies and seek their advice. Based on that conversation, I have (for the last 25 years) placed this statement in my appraisals. "In my opinion, the replacement value of this instrument is..." In other words, I estimate that it will cost X number of dollars to buy another instrument in comparable make, age, condition, etc. If you have a bill of sale, I will usually make the insurance appraisal for that amount unless it had increased in value.
  6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Framus laminated upright. Great bass and I have mine insured for $2000.