Frances the Mute

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Who's got it?

I'm listening to the first track.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought it today, haven't listened to it yet.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Got it. Great stuff. Cygnus iss GREAT, as is Cassandra Gemini. IF you speak spanish, the cd is even better, heh.
  5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've been listening to some rather sketchy bootleg files that a friend of mine got me a couple months ago. The album is great! I'm just waiting for the guys in the mailroom to get my cd in. I'm starting to kick myself for ordering it online instead of getting it from one of the local stores. But, meh. It's worth the wait.
  6. I think it's a great album. Deloused felt like a complete work that you just have to listen to from start to finish... and this one feels like even more of an "album". It's hard to listen to only one song at a time.

Juan's playing is simply SICK on this album! He kills the fretless and takes out some cool effects several times a song. Hear his cool solo on Cassandra Gemini? This album really shows off their individual talent and the whole thing sounds great.
  7. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Do any of you know what kind of bass Jaun is using on this album? It kinda has that stingray growl. Could it be?

8. sknkh

Mar 21, 2004
    Awesome album, its a shame they couldn't fit the Frances the Mute 'decoder' on it, but still an awesome album nonetheless.
    Juan is on the cover of bass player, and he talks about what gear he uses etc. You can see the article on the offical mars volta website, in the press section.
  9. Its a pretty ill album. Juan definately grooves like a mother. I like the way it starts with 'Sarcophagi' and ends with it too. John Theodore puts in some intense drumming. Props to Flea for some killer trumpet work.
  10. What, Flea didn't play bass on this one? Is MV a full real band now? I'm not being a smartass, I'm genuinely asking.
  11. Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    I have it on at work right now. This is really good stuff. From what I've gathered at this point, there is not much else like this out currently...unlike 30 years ago. That song in spanish has some sweet guitar, I think it's track #3.
    The track listing looks like older Rush albums (2112, Caress of Steel, Hemispheres).
  12. hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    I'm loving this album. I hadn't heard anything from TMV until yesterday, now I think I'm hooked. Great, refreshing stuff.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes full band. Juaan alderete recorded the bass. he was the bassist for Racer X, and he is sick on fretless (uses a fretless P/J fender). His tone is great on the cd and his playing really ties the band together. The drummer (Jon theodore) is amazing as well. He idolizes John Bonham and it shows through his playing style and kit choice.
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I love how they incorporated the organ into their sound.

Seemed like on Deloused he did more FX/Guitar doubling stuff.
  15. That makes sence, I was watching the dvd that came with the cd, and his setup is just like bonhams, except without the huge bass drum.
  16. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    I just bought it earlier today- 7 dollars at best buy for 1 hour, 16 minutes, and 55 seconds of quality music, thats a ****ing steal. This album is wonderful, the fretless sounds awesome, and the drummer is exceptional. There's some cool vocodor- like parts too. (off topic- that $400 dollar Korg synth w/ the vocodor is a blast)
    I recieved a free download of an acoustic version of "the Widow" but am yet to download it, anyone listen to this?
  17. the album is great to me even better that their first two!!!

and Juan plays amazing!!!
  18. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Wasn't the bassist from Racer X John Alderete? Did he change his name?
  19. I got it today for free at I didnt steal it.

Deloused was a masterpeice...................Frances the Mute is a collaberation between god and the devil handed down to Omar and Cedric....................*********awesome album.
  20. It's the same guy. He called himself John when he was in Racer X, but his given name is Juan Alderete de la Pena.
    I just picked the album up yesterday and listened to it this morning. Scary bass playing, great tone. He used several modified 70's Fender basses on the record, according to the BP cover story.