1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Francis Buchholz bass solo (Belgium, 1990)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jun 9, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    This is from the "Crazy World" world tour, which was his last with the band. Francis is a very competent hard rock bassist. Like Ian Hill, his style became more minimalist as his band became more popular. His playing on "Tokyo Tapes" is great--much more melodic than his later style.

Francis did a lot of work as the business and sometimes tour manager for the band. There are several Scorpions songs that he didn't play on. Apparently the band had a bassist friend in Hanover who would sub for Francis in the studio when the former was busy with non-musical activities. Still, he could play everything quite well live.

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm not crazy about this solo. It seems that many hard rock/heavy metal bass solos are more or less just there to work up the crowd, which is fine. Musical expression is really not the point. But I would personally prefer a little more substance. Developing the harmonic thing he does around the 2 minute mark could have some potential.

A.K. likes this.
  3. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I agree--it's not a particularly scintillating solo. Peter Barthes' solo is much more exciting.

4. Jimmy Bain recorded an album for the Scorpions ( Might have been Love at First Sting ). Tape was
    wiped and talk of him joining dropped as management wanted to keep the band all German.

Yep just checked it was LAFS , Francis re-recorded the parts and he's the player on the album.
    Can't say I see the point of a bass solo at a Scorps gig though.

A.K. likes this.
  5. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Bobby Rondinelli also played drums on the original recordings for that album. Jimmy and Bobby were recording their parts on LAFS while the Scorps played the US Festival in California. Herman redid the drums for the final tracks.

Francis was fired for embezzling millions of deutschmarks from the Scorpions' business operation.

kodiakblair likes this.
  6. Wow A.K

I'd read an interview with Francis where he complained about the management. He kept really
    quiet about the embezzlment,tried to come across like he was the injured party.

What a S***

A.K. likes this.
  7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    If he embezzled millions, why isn't he in prison?

8. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Evidently there are still court cases going on 22 years after he left the band. I'm not sure why he isn't in jail. Francis was the CEO of Scorpions, Inc. when the band was going through a big audit with the German tax authorities. Apparently that was the catalyst for his departure, along with the band's manager.

Herman talks about it in his autobiography. He more or less accuses Francis of stealing from Scorpions, Inc. without coming out and stating it unequivocally. But now he's out on tour with Francis in Michael Schenker's band.

9. He also toured a bit with Uli Roth a few years back. Weird how he keeps popping up considering the accusations.

A.K. likes this.
  10. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Just don't let him handle the money?

I've seen the Scorpions live three times--and I don't remember a bass solo any of those times--so either it wasn't memorable--or there wasn't one.
    Mathias & Rudolf both soloed--and there was a drum solo at least once.
    But no bass solo I remember.

A.K. likes this.
  11. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm a pretty easygoing guy. . . . But if I know someone has swiped millions from a band I'm in (we're dealing in serious hypothetical here), there is no way I am working with him in any capacity. Maybe if he returns the money, and repents in sackcloth and ashes . . . but that doesn't sound like what's being described here.

The video in the original post might give a clue as to why a bass solo is a rarity for Buchholz.

12. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I wasn't actually serious--just joking about how someone could work with him...

Lee Moses likes this.
  13. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I think it was extremely unusual for him to solo. Maybe the people of Brussels had a fever . . . and the only cure was a Francis Buchholz bass solo.

zontar likes this.
  14. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't think he took any of Uli's money. Also, they had been friends even before they joined the Scorps together after having been in a band called Dawn Road (IIRC).

Herman's decision to work with him in the Michael Schenker band surprised me. Herman slams Francis quite a bit in his book, apart from the question of embezzling. One gets the impression that Francis didn't really fit in well with the rest of the band, which may be why he was always so busy doing managerial and financial work behind the scenes instead of playing bass in the studio.

Another element of the whole story is that Francis was annoyed in general by the band's drinking and coke use, since he's not really a partier. I think the other members (who drank like fishes and helped keep the Peruvian economy booming thanks to their love for booger sugar) thought he was a bit of a whiner.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  15. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I do like his tone here, though.

Here is an interview with Francis from 2006, when he joined the German hard rock act Dreamtide as producer and bassist. I own the album and his bass work on it is quite good, more like his '70s style than his '80s style. He also addresses some of the issues surrounding the accusations of embezzlement.

http://www.getreadytoroll.com/interviews/francisbuchholz.htm

16. Addresses them without mentioning them.

No surprise about jail time though, Steal $500 do time but steal $5 million not so likely.

A.K. likes this.