Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Francois Moutin

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Savino, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    You know I'm amazed when I searched this forum and found no mention of my good buddy Francois Moutin at all. Francois is one of the most remarkable and inventive bassists i have ever encountered. Years back he completely flipped my ideas of jazz bass. Some of you must have heard of him?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I believe I've heard him on some of Martial Solal's recordings; correct?

3. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Yes, Francois and his twin brother drummer cut their teeth playing with Martial Solal

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hey, cool! I can actually remember stuff! Well, sometimes...

I just Googled his bio...turns out he's also played with about two dozen of my favorite musicians, from Dave Liebman to Trilok Gurtu. There are some clips of him with Solal at Amazon, and he's definitely doin' it.

This brings up a point that I love about hanging out here at TB...as an American, I tend to sometimes (unintentionally) overlook all the great musicians from the rest of the world (Yes, I know he lives in NY). This guy is a perfect example; now, I'm going to go check out more of his stuff.

5. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    He's actually here in NYC for quite sometime. He has his own quartet with his twin brother called Moutin Reunion Quartet, Killing Modern Jazz. Talk about a sympathetic rhythm section. His work with Jean Michel Pilc is also extrordinary.

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I heard a CD of the Moutin Reunion Quarter. Man, that stuff was wild! I remember listening to one track in a friend's car for about a half hour, just trying to figure out what the time signature was... no luck lol. It was unbelievably sick all the same.

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Francois blows me away. His work with Jean-Michel Pilc is outstanding. I also really like Moutin Reunion but his work with Pilc and Ari Hoenig just amazes me. All three of those guys are great players in their own right. Sometimes that doesn't mean success as a group. These guys are all great listeners and seem to be telepathic in how they interact. Occasionally that trio reminds me of the Corea, Vitous, Haynes trio. Not to compare but this is one of my favorite piano trio of all time (now he sings now he sobs). They take that format and add their own personalities, styles, and flair to it. I look forward to more stuff from Francois. Any reccomedations?

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Was just hangin' with Francois last night at a gig (with singer/songwriter Dana Pomfret) in Simsbury, CT, so I had to do a search here at TB to see if you cats were hip.

Simply put, he's a mother****er. Super nice cat too. He plays a 200 year old French bass with a dazzling display of facility. He co-wrote some of Dana's material, and there was an especially wonderful voice/bass duo piece that was just beautiful.

Not mentioned here is that he plays with Mike Stern at the 55 Bar (although he's just back from touring for a coupla months and hasn't done the gig in awhile) with a rotating cast of drummers that's included Tain Watts and Lenny White. I'll be making the trip for one of those hits asap.

9. Heard the Moutin Reunion Quartet's "Something like Now" at the station last night....and full on agree, this cat's got the mother****in' goods...great songs to boot, all around killin' band.....more discussion on these guys is a must.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I saw them about 2 weeks ago on the BETjazz station. All I could say was "Wow". Very nice stuff. And to think that the twins have PhD's in math and physics to boot (just in case this music stuff doesn't work out for them).

11. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    I remember years back when I studied with Francois, we would play for hours and then we'd take a break and he rack my brain with math puzzles. He is truly a brilliant man and one of the nicest cats I've ever come across.

12. I have never heard of a nice cat that can play!

13. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    well . . . everyone has their evil side ;)

14. Maaaven

Maaaven

Jun 24, 2003
    Pasadena Area
    http://www.jazzbakery.org/

JUNE 13 - 18,
    (JEAN-MICHEL PILC, FRANCOIS MOUTIN, ARI HOENIG)

An unstoppable trio!... PILC combines astonishing
    piano technique with explosive power; MOUTIN's bass work is astounding & HOENIG's drumming is a model of melodicism. The presentation of TRIO SONATA has been made possible with support from Chamber Music America's New Works: Encore Program, funded through the generosity of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.