Francois, or anyone w/ knowledge of 5th tuning strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Jan 7, 2005.

1. A good friend of mine up in the northwest, Larry Holloway, who won the Red Mitchell Memorial Award for fifth tuning bassists, asked me if i've any knowledge of any new fifth tuning strings....other than the Red Mitchell fifth Thomastiks. Right away, naturally I thought of our string Guru, Francois, who has such a depth of knowledge in the string dept.
    Larry mentioned one of his fifth students using 'Superflexables' and just tuning them up/down. I was concerned with the extra tension especially on the G/A.
    He said they sounded really good though.
    Anyway, i'm just diggin' around to see if any one of you guys have heard about anything new in the fifth tuning world?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I know that Velvet makes a couple different 5th tuning sets. Check the Lemur web site out. There should be a few sets out there. I know at one time Joel Quarrington was trying to get Thomastik to make him a set of Dominants in 5ths. I don't know if this went through or not....
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm not aware of anything else than what has been already said.
    We discussed fifth tuning in another thread and it was also suggested to combine solo strings. (solo A for the first string and a solo F# for the low G)
    Low Bs and low Cs are easy to find.