Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Francois--Pirastro Permanents

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by KingOfAmps, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Just wanted to offer a belated (six months??) thanks for your help. Thanks for recommending the Permanents. Just what I was hoping for. Much more friendly than the D'Addario orchestrals and hybrids. Orchestrals required some fight to put in motion and the hybrids had that problem plus lacked life under pizz. BOTH seemed to be just too high-tensioned and uncomfortable. The Permanents respond with little effort and right on time and feel better overall. Surprisingly, the pizz volume is pretty big too! I'm sure the D'Addario's work well for some people but I'm done with them. Thank You.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Wow!
    Thanks for the kind words! :)

On my own instrument, I find them too twangy, but there's no doubt they can be great on another bass. The G and D are very lively.

Thanks again!

3. Francois
    Sorry for my ignorance.
    Did you try Permanent E and A?
    How are they, compared with Varicor E and ?
    Thank you

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    To me, the Permanents have more metallic edge.
    I prefer the Varicores, but YMMV!

BTW, I'm using a complete set of Original Flexocors now and am quite happy! :)

5. Francois
    Just my curious, which one among Flexocore'92, Original Flexocore, and Original Flatchromes is warmest tone, especially E and A strings, in your opinion?

I have a plan to try a whole set of original flexocore too in about next month.

Thank you

6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    First, make it clear that Original Flexocor and Original Flatchrome are the same string. Original Flatchrome is an Original Flexocor string selected with a closer tolerance range.

Flexocor ('92) G and D are warmer than Original Flexocor, but also less lively and stiffer.
    E and A are clearer than Original Flexocor,which are thick and dark-sounding.

So to answer your question, the Original Flexocor (or Original Flatchrome, same thing) E and A are warmer, stronger.
    For the E, I went back to the Flexocor ('92). I found the Original a bit too muddy for my taste.
    But I kept the other Original Flexocors on. (A, D and G)
    The clearer, more lively tone of the Original Flexocor G and D (in comparison to the Flexocor '92) opens the sound and make my instrument more singing, less carpet-sounding... :)

HTH!