francois rabbath

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Leco reis, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I just bought the François Rabbath book 3
    I wonder if it is possible to master these scales an arpeg and the book in general, without ever having a clinic with Rabbath?
    I know we study other books and the authors are no here anymore
    But there are not many teachers that teach this book.
    So what do you think?
  2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Personally I feel that the method is a little bit too extreme to be used as the sole foundation for one's playing. That being said, I use a lot of things from the books and the dvd in my playing. I feel that the rabbath method can do great things to improve technique.
  3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I just received the "Art of the Bow" CDs but haven't started watching yet.

Has anyone worked with this enough to offer any observations?
  4. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    Just a little bit about book three. Don't be overwhelmed with all the scale fingerings and permutations. The idea is to practice different ones everyday as opposed to thinking you need to memorize each one. Some of the fingerings seem impossible. Work on these more to open up new possiblilties. I usually run thru 2 to 5 different ones a day. The purpose of all the fingerings is to eventually find the ways that work best for you.
    have fun
  5. What are Books 1 and 2 like? Are they more basic? I started with Simandl and then studied the Nanny method. These provided me with the basics and a good intro to thumb position.

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah books 1 and 2 are a little more basic...but I wouldn't call them beginner books even if they were intended for beginners.

George Vance has some great beginner books with a Rabbath-technique flavor, however.