1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frank Bello bass sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OmJon, May 20, 2011.

1. OmJon

OmJon

Apr 5, 2011
    hi, can you guys give me some advice how to get Anthrax's Frank Bello sound. i'm using fender highway 1 jazz and tech 21 programmable bass DI thru hartke HA-3500. the bass is using stock pups and rotosound RB-45 strings. any advice would be very appreciate...
    sorry for my poor english, i'm Indonesian...

after receiving many advice from the replies i've planned to buy Dimarzio model J, to pursuit a P bass tone. because it's the only way i can achieve it, my other bass is Status Energy which it sound opposite way from the Fenders.

UPDATE :
    another advice please... a friend of mine gonna sell his dimarzio Model J neck pups. can i install only the neck pups, while still using the original single coil bridge pups. or i have buy another dimarzio model J bridge pups....

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I would use fresh stainless steel rounds, low action, overdriven/distorted mids and an aggressive attack. Experiment with your pickup blend as well, I find that favoring the neck pickup gives me a sound closer to Frank Bello's, but most would suggest to favor the bridge pickup or have them both on full.

3. Frank's typical sound back in "the day" used to be a passive P bass style instrument almost directly into an Ampeg tube amp. I remember an interview in one of the bass mags where he stated he was a bass straight into amp kinda guy. I think he has always used Symour Duncan 1/4 pound pickups.

4. OmJon

OmJon

Apr 5, 2011
    i'd like to hear more advice please...

5. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Lots of treble, good amount of mids, not too much bass, both pickups on full, tone knob all the way up.

6. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    I can;t imagine Frank actually uses a Squire bass but must have been paid well for his signiture

7. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    For me, using a P or j-bass with fresh stainless steel strings pushing the tubes in my amp going into a cab loaded with 10" gets near it. The harder i dig in the crunchier it gets.

8. OmJon

OmJon

Apr 5, 2011
    thanks for advice...

need more....:)

9. OmJon

OmJon

Apr 5, 2011
    the original problem has been solved, thanks for advice and comments... but my another problem that i post in this thread supposed to be in another room i guess... once again thanks...