Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frank Bello's Signature Fender Jazz????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawndart, Dec 28, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I just got the new Jan. Bass Player and the article on Belladona with HELMET mentions that hes trying out a prototype of his signature Jazz. Can anyone offer any insite on this? From the pic (a bit dark and on a angle) it appears to have two control pots and an input jack on the plate and a P-pickup towards the neck.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I assume you mean Frank Bello. :D

I see what you see--a Jazz Bass with a P/J setup. If this actually comes out, and it's the same deal as the other artist basses, we'll see a PJ Jazz Bass for around $650-$700 street.
    That would not suck at all.

3. FRANK BELLO!!!

Anyway it looks like a nice bass... :bassist:

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I would like to know how do some of these players get sig.models after them.most of these guys I haven't even heard off.Jaco has a sig. after him-I get that,Marcus Miller -ok Reggie Hamilton-I guess,not that he isn't a great player, on the other hand I've never heard him play....I don't think Geddy was actually using Jazz basses before he got an indorsement deal,but to me if there is anyone of 2 people that should signatures model Jazz basses name after them are
    Larry Grahm; or did Fender do one for him already.
    Verdine White: most of you should allready know him by now
    Prince:Yeah I get the Rhonda Smith thing (it be nice if Fender would have poster of Rhonda in a Victoria Secrets.......well,most of you get the picture) but Prince has done and still does do all of the bass lines on his records,and it's been that way since the late 70's.I'm sure there are others but mainly those 3 should have Fender Sig Models.

5. Geddy Lee has owned his "pawnshop prize" '72 Jazz for more than 25 years. He used it for some recording during the late 70s and early 80s, and he's been playing Jazz basses exclusively since the recording of Counterparts, which came out in 1993, long before he got his Fender signature model.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's all in the marketing! Quite a lot of very good to virtuoso players won't go near Fenders so Fender aims at the meat and potato cats. Nothing wrong with that but I agree, there are many who are more deserving of sig basses. I guess you have to be currently playing a Fender to get a sig. I would say Rhonda Smith does fit the bill. At that Las Vegas Prince concert it looked like she was killin' on a Geddy Lee or at least it was painted like one.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Exactly,hell he used it on the Hocus Pocus cd also.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    And, the problem with marketing is? Who is to say who deserves a signature bass, anyway?

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    She's actually playing the 75' reissue.BTW they have one of these at Sam Ash in Tampa Fl.4 string Maple/Maple

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That bass looked good in her hands!! ;)

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I take that back. I know there are a few cats who play Fenders like Kim Stone of The Rippingtons and Michael Manson and Dig Lewis but it's still not a staple among virtuosos.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

'75? or '62? The website shows the '75 in natural only unless she had it painted?

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My local Sam Ash has a Black 75RI with maple neck and black blocks. There are some still around!

14. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    agghh!!! Damn what a name slip! my bad.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1 Frank Bello has been playing Fender basses for a long time now. I've seen Anthrax a bunch of times & he's always had some sort of Fender.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    According to a previous issue of Bass Guitar he said that he actually used it on most of the "Moving Pictures" album as well.

17. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Not to mention that it also SOUNDED very good in her hands.

Her lines in "Strange relationships" had me stunned.

18. Chances are you have but didn't know it. He's played on dozens of albums and film soundtracks.

reggiehamilton.com

19. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    wow, how off topic!!! Lets keep this to just Frank Bello's bass please.

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am famialiar too with Frank playing. I heard his work with Anthrax and i have seen him live 3 times. A Fender aficionado. I have also seen that he's sponsoring Fender amps on a Bassplayer ad. On this ad he holds a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass. which, by the way is a PJ.