1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frank Gambale-Natural High

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, May 9, 2006.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Anyone heard this yet?
    Is it more shredding from Gambale, or does the acoustic manage to make him a bit more lyrical?

(not a big fan of the shredding)

2. It is good and Caron plays great - but even on acoustic Gambale's playing is a little predictable - he's amazing technically but a little lacking in soul - but if you want good chops and tricky jazz melodies this album has plenty of that.

A sort of three out of five stars is what I'd give this - worth getting if you are a fan.

Mike

3. There goes the Gambale gig :meh:

4. Like I ever had a chance of playing with him ;) - ie NOT - anyway I don't know if you knew this or not but before his recent 'coming out' as a fully blown baldy he wore a wig - yes folks a 'mullet' wig for years and years - oh yeah, and leather trousers, a muscle shirt and cowboy boots, playing a day-glow Ibanez...guess I'll never be playing with him now :) - sorry I'm being silly - he's a very fine player, just not one of my faves.

M

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm a big Alain Caron fan but actually didn't think his playing on Natural High was anything to write home about. From the little I heard, it sounded alot less together than his solo stuff.

W

6. I agree - I'm not sure I actually liked him on acoustic fretless - his tone is so sweet on six string fretless that I actually missed hearing that.
    M

7. Yeah I did know that. He felt at the time the industry demanded that look. Yes, you are being silly, not to mention a little cheap :). For some people hair loss is an extremely sensitive issue, my experience (being a member of the "grown through my hair" group) is it seems to bother some haired people more than most "baldys". Personally it doesn't bother me a fig but I respect that others are not so comfortable with it and feel the need to "cover up". At any rate it's difficult to see the relevance of your comments with regard to his musical talents.

I will agree however that he is a fine player and respected in his field. I'm not sure you would get a gig with Chick Corea by being "predictable".

Just my .02.

8. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Gonna pass. I think he's got chops, but I don't find too much allure in his playing. I was hoping that maybe an acoustic would slow him down and bring out more melodicism. Plus, if it's not great Alain Caron, then it's definitely not worth it to me.

9. Belated apologies for any offence taken re-lack of folicles - I'm heading that way myself - so I'm enjoying what I have left while I can. Baldness is not something to be hidden - but something to wear proudly - the fact Gambale sported a rather tasteless mullet for about ten years instead of doing the latter is - in my humble opion - a little sad - the guy has enough talent to justify himself musically without getting obsessed with image - i think he looks a lot cooler now without the rug - that's what i meant - sorry io had to spell it out.

M

10. No offence taken here. I had understood your drift too, so no need to spell it out for me. I think it sad that FG felt he had to do the wig thing to be accepted in the industry at the time. If you read what he says about it I think he realises that. Perhaps this is indicative of the industry at that time.