Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FRANKEN my FENDER!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schmittuml, Sep 22, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I got my old standard jazz 3 tone sunburst thats in some bad shape....i'm looking to fix this thing into a machine...and i mean the works.... suggest anything!

I'm thinkin I want to do a pickup setup with a MM down by the bridge sweetspot style, than the niddle J, and a P style Pup up top.....with switches for series/parallel...

also prob getting a badass bridge in there.....any suggestions on preamps that would work or who to call to wire it? also suggest pickups....im lookin for a fat tone with a growl, but able to be smooth vintage when needed....

im goin all out...suggest anything!

2. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    I'm working on a Franken Fender myself. I have a J bridge Pup, a P Pup and a Gibson EB neck Pup (I'v been searching for an original Tele Pup but with no luck). The body is a MIJ P and the neck is an All Parts Tele. It's black with a tele shaped tortoise pick gaurd.
    I'm going to put a Piezo bridge on it when I can afford it and maybe some a preamp.

3. Get it out

....not good for Frank or Fender:eek:

4. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Just make sure you look at the preamp before buying. There isn't a whole lot of room in the control cavity of that bass.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Holy carp, batman! Are you building an Alembic? Think of the amount of knobs you'll have to buy......:D

I was thinking about doing this very same thing with a bass once I have a bit more money. Outfit it with every accessory and electronic component available, just for the heck of it.

Don't forget your D-tuner, Fat Finger, switchable string mutes, tremelo system, onboard multi-effects unit, and side-view LEDs in the neck! :smug:

Dare I say it.......retractable frets?!

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I wouldn't worry about the space taken up by everything. They didn't invent rear-routing capabilities for nothing.....:D

7. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    [​IMG]
    ;)

8. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    Don't forget your D-tuner, Fat Finger, switchable string mutes, tremelo system, onboard multi-effects unit, and side-view LEDs in the neck! :smug:

I have switchable string mutes on my Ovation Magnum.

I did concider a tremelo system. I even bid one on Ebay.

The LED thing is too hi-tech.:cool:

I tried to get the electronics from the Variax, but they woul'nt sell it to me without the wood. I told them I was left handed (a lie) but that did'nt help much.:crying:

I was thinking something like a Strat 5 position switch could do the trick so I only need 3 knobs. Hav'nt worked it out yet.

Dare I say it.......retractable frets?![/QUOTE]

Uhmmmmmm must have Raaaaaalah! Must haaaaave :hyper:

I have a Photoshop version of the bass

Attached Files:

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How do you like the adjustable mutes? where did you buy them?

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Sounds like it'll end up pretty badass.