1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Franken P-Bass (reversed jazz neck) Natural finish, cheap!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Basstovsky, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This was my first 'project' bass I built from parts, and while I love it, I have too many P-basses so this one has to go.
    $150 shipped in the continental US, and will ship in a generic gigbag packed up carefully in a large box.
    No trades please, I'm clearing room for a custom order Spector.

The body I believe came from an old Memphis bass, they made some good japanese copies back in the 70s, pickup and electronics came from the same. The body looks to be mahogany and maple, but again I am not positive. It was string-though-body so I installed a black string-through bridge with matching ferrules in the back to anchor the strings. I liked the jackson reversed headstock look so I put a left-handed neck on this right-handed bass. The neck is a jazz bass sized neck (1.5 inch nut width) with pearloid block inlays and bound fretboard, another copy as the headstock is blank and not quite Fender shaped. The neck profile is pretty thin like most 70's style jazz bass necks and it has standard cloverleaf tuners.

To clarify: this IS a right-handed bass, it is strung and plays normally, standard 34" scale, the neck itself is just flipped.

The body was not in the best shape, there are extra holes from a thumbrest that is no longer there (I have a black plastic one and can install it if you ask) and from whatever bridge was on it before I got the body. I have taken MANY pictures to accurately represent this bass, as it has many little dings and scrapes, as well as a small neck pocket shim. The neck still looks brand new, straight with plenty of adjustment left on the truss rod, I took good care of the neck at least. Has a newish set of DR Sunbeam nickel strings on it as well (needed the E-string to be long!) Feel free to ask any questions!

Tons of pictures:
    DSC01079.

DSC01081.

DSC01082.

DSC01092.

DSC01093.

DSC01085.

DSC01086.

DSC01090.

DSC01091.

DSC01102.

DSC01095r.

DSC01096r.

DSC01098r.

DSC01101.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I proclaim this bass to be cool.

3. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Nice price! That's like selling the neck and throwin' in the guitar! Speaking of the neck..was the nut filed for right-hand stringing? What are the dimensions at the heel? Any markings on the heel?..the headstock looks old-style SX..

4. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I can't recall if there are any markings on the heel, but it is 2-3/8 in. wide at the 20th fret.
    Did a search and I'm pretty sure it must be an unlabeled SX jazz bass neck, the headstock is exactly the same shape, and the way the binding ends by the truss rod looks identical as well. It must have been surplus or something as I bought it on ebay a few years back. As for the nut I simply flipped it back around and re-glued it, no filing necessary.

5. Thats indeed a sx neck ,rondo sold them and they came undrilled with no hole in the heel or stock , there nice necks .

Sweet bass

6. curious, do you notice any difference in tone with the reversed neck and extra string length on the lower strings and shorter string length on the higher strings, compared to a 'regular' pbass?

fun and cool project!

7. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nothing tonewise, but it seems like the E and A stay in tune better than the G and D

8. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    I do believe this one shall be coming home to me :p

9. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yep, I would install a bar string retainer to get an even break on all strings at the nut.

10. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    On hold pending payment...

11. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Doh! Let me know if this falls through... I'd love to be next in line.

12. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sold!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.