Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Franken P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzV, Aug 3, 2002.

1. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    The Franken P is done.

2. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Neck Pocket Closeup

3. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Bridge Closeup

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    have you used parts? which brand! nice lloking bass, by the way!

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    With the old stat knobs?

It's very pretty, I'm sure you're very happy with it!

6. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Gotoh bridge. Warmoth 21 fret neck and pickguard. New knobs. Plays great.

7. Gotta love that combination - black/charcoal pearl - cuz I've got matching Jazzes with the same scheme.

May I make a suggestion? I really like the black theme and to take it a step further, how about staining your fretboard a deep black? You can easily mask your dots and use black dye (wipe-on) to cover the rosewood. It works great, is easy and cheap, and IMO really gives the bass a mean lean look.

8. Sweet!

I like Hambones idea of staining the rosewood fretboard. I'm thinking of doing it to my P bass of doom.

I don't have film developed yet, but its black finish, black pickguard, chrome hardware.

Staining the fretboard and painting over the headstock to match the body would really make it look killer.

I like that pickguard too. I might get one like it for my Essex jazz.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hammy...if you like the black scheme, I have plans for a warmoth that might tickle you...

Black Jazz body
    Black Pickgaurd
    Black Matched Headstock (or might just go Moses P neck!)
    Rosewood (stainded darker)
    Black hardware, including cover plate and side jack plate
    Black J retro
    Covered pickups P+Soapbar (no exposed pole peices)
    Black screws even.

I can't seem to find a suitiable material for black frets, but when I get done, the only thing not black on that bass will the strings and frets. I know they make black flats, but flats don't work for me. And Unless you know someone that makes black rounds...

I call it the P Bass of Death. :D

10. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    If I had it to do over again, I would have had the neck painted black. I think I would have stayed with the rosewood, though.

11. AHEM... excuse me, but MINE is already called the P bass of Doom, as you can clearly see by my previous post. ;)

Yours can be called, "P Bass of Darkness but not cool enough to be doom." :D

I could be wrong, but I think I've seen black nylon rounds.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the funny thing is that you specifically called yours "P bass of doom" Mine is "P Bass of Doom" I have the proper noun, ergo name. Yours was in lower case, suggesting a description, as opposed to a name.

But I like P Bass of Death anyway. :p

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cool pix!

Hambone, what kind of dye would you suggest?

14. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Here's my Franken P

[​IMG]

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Groove...I like your rig better than the bass! :D

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

well...yamaha made basses with black delrin frets. don't know where you could still get it but i'm sure you can find it somewhere.

and whatever strings come on ibanez BTB's stocks - i think they're elixers - may not be black but they're kind of a bluish that would look really cool.

i think that the only non-black thing on your bass should be a really tiny cute bunny sticker on the headstock. :)

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I talked with Angus, who has Black delrin frets on a yammer. It's a plastice fret, like you would see on a classical guitar. They wear a lot easier than metal (duh). It's only $50 for a re-fret because they are rather flat...but Delrin frets in a metal band? It'd take away from the attack and volume too much for my liking. And rounds would eat them for breakfast. I play to energetically to keep my head and play with a super light touch, so the delrin frets are out.

18. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Yeah she's like an ugly girlfriend. She just trys harder ;)

Seriously though she started life as a 74 P-bass then I replaced the neck, bridge, pickups and finally the body and case. The body and pickguard were made by a friend of mine. You can leave her in the closet for years and she's still in tune. Sounds as HI-FI as any bass out there to boot!

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

but what about the bunny sticker?

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll pretend to think about it.