Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Franken-SG Bass progress pix and questions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by philthygeezer, Jan 23, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    ***cross-post warning***

Here's the first few coats of Tru - oil on the SG bass:

Excuse the wide angle perspective on the top one (makes the bass appear to bulge in the middle). I didn't fill the grain as I feel that the grain lines break up the reflection off the top surface nicely. I might change my mind about that later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Questions:

A) How long would it take to fill the grain with just tru-oil? Lotsa coats?

B) 2 or 3 band Bartolini EQ? Will the mid adjustment come in handy? Do the 2-banders sound better?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I do like having a mid control myself. But it might not be worth the extra cost. SG basses are not usually known for slap, so maybe a mid is not entirely necessary.

3. Cool bass.

Filling with Tru-Oil will take a few passes but you don't need to do it as full coats. Wipe it on with a credit card and just fill first then do your building with the top coats. It will save you some labor sanding down smooth later.

Put the mid in. And don't worry what SG's used to sound like, they were all mahogany. This is ash and totally different. You'll like the mid for dialing in a growling sound as well as dropping the mids for slap.

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks much.

I also notice that the ash is kind of soft and scratches easily compared to my maple body. will it harden up as I add more Tru Oil, or is there something else I can do to make it tougher?